Ghost Gamer Broadband ISP

N3CR0

21 minutes ago, Zennon said:

Better to be on standard for a more lenient DLM as a talktalk user I am on standard.

Can DLM force the other profiles like stable or will it just add interleaving and leave it on standard?

Hi Zennon,

Correct, this is why we use a Stable or Standard profile depending if WBC or GEA. This profile is more forgiving but does also have drawbacks in that it can result in the connection dropping more as the thresholds are higher before it steps in to raise the target.

DLM profiling is controlled by the ISP so a "modify" order would need to be submitted to Openreach in order to change this. From a combined view of both RADIUS and GEA tests it would be quickly identified if this was due to a line fault of a change of profile being required (that includes product) Example, a line syncing at 56/11 might be better on a 55/10 product.

As Killhippie has said, "the nature of your line and the laws of physics come into play" which is true, and no 2 lines are identical which is why we take the time to look at each line where required and work the best possible mix of product and profile (sometimes hardware) to get the best possible outcome.

I wonder why you go with the "Fast broadband speeds are a key part of online gaming success"

When low latency / low ping / routing is the reality, I am sure if you went with this tag line gamers understand these things.

The focusing on the word "speed" which many ISP call bandwidth is what made me ask the questions.

Thank you for the clarification.

19 minutes ago, Zennon said:

I wonder why you go with the "Fast broadband speeds are a key part of online gaming success"

When low latency / low ping / routing is the reality, I am sure if you went with this tag line gamers understand these things.

The focusing on the word "speed" which many ISP call bandwidth is what made me ask the questions.

Thank you for the clarification.

Hi Zennon,

Thank you for your comments. That line is directly followed by "But if you want to win consistently, you need a connection with consistent performance." This was intended to summarise all aspects of the connection simply without getting to technical. But i will take your feedback and pass it along internally as it is appreciated :)

11 minutes ago, Netduma Alex said:

Yeah but your average user probably won't understand the difference. It's something I have to explain quite a lot to customers. People think that just because they have high bandwidth, they should also get low ping. Unfortunately the two are separate issues.

Anyway this thread's getting very sweaty. I've got a lot to learn about the WAN side of things.

Hi Alex,

If you ever find yourself down towards London / Horsham then let us know and we would be more than happy to show you around the network.

7 minutes ago, Ghost Gamer Broadband said:

Hi Zennon,

Thank you for your comments. That line is directly followed by "But if you want to win consistently, you need a connection with consistent performance." This was intended to summarise all aspects of the connection simply without getting to technical. But i will take your feedback and pass it along internally as it is appreciated :)

I understand many people think high speed (bandwidth) is what gives you the edge with online games.

A little education showing what latency / ping / routing is in a diagram would be good. Folk love their features :)