Reset now channel 11 on 2.4 fails to work

Reset my 500 and I’ve had issues on the 2.4 channels and in typical form as channel 11 is the free area after a scan I am for some unknown reason able to get that channel.

i can have any other channel bar 11 and just can’t figure out why. I’ve also this time round had issue connecting amazon echos and one had to be connected to a guest network and one still fails and one just connected after the reset.

before I spend time doing another reset is there something I’m missing, it should be as simple as select channel 11 under wireless channels?

i did notice after the rest straight away I had no 2.4 channels on the auto select default. As a guess it’s a firmware issue maybe, corrupted??

Guest Killhippie
25 minutes ago, Newfie said:

Reset my 500 and I’ve had issues on the 2.4 channels and in typical form as channel 11 is the free area after a scan I am for some unknown reason able to get that channel.

i can have any other channel bar 11 and just can’t figure out why. I’ve also this time round had issue connecting amazon echos and one had to be connected to a guest network and one still fails and one just connected after the reset.

before I spend time doing another reset is there something I’m missing, it should be as simple as select channel 11 under wireless channels?

i did notice after the rest straight away I had no 2.4 channels on the auto select default. As a guess it’s a firmware issue maybe, corrupted??

Have you tried 5Ghz channels to see if they work? it's possible your firmware may be corrupt. Firstly make make sure HT160 is off, WMM is on and try with MU-MIMO off as that's not really doing much of anything unless your devices support it. Also make sure 20/40 Coexistence is ticked as trying to use 40Mhz bandwidth in a busy Wi-Fi area can also cause your own Wi-Fi network to suffer packet loss. What country is your router showing as if that got changed it could mess things up too. Mine just says Europe, If you let it auto select can you connect? Failing that try re downloading the firmware again it and reset the router via the pinhole on the back after uploading it (pressing in for 10-20 seconds will work) and set up everything manually, don't use a backup as that could copy issues back to the router. If that does not work its possible you may have a hardware issue with the 2.4Ghz radio, this really is a question for the Netgear forum as its their hardware, but lets hope the other things sort it out. If you still have warranty and can't get it working contact Netgear support for a RMA replacement possibly.

Thanks for the info.

it’s corrupt for sure as it’s acting strange.

mines on Europe too.

i setup fresh but should have taken notice there was an issue straight away. I’ll try reinstalling the firmware and then reset and setup again.

Guest Killhippie
1 minute ago, Newfie said:

Thanks for the info.

it’s corrupt for sure as it’s acting strange.

mines on Europe too.

i setup fresh but should have taken notice there was an issue straight away. I’ll try reinstalling the firmware and then reset and setup again.

Good luck, post back to let us know how things are going. :)

Reinstalled, reset. Setup and this time the 2.4 was on at default. Selected channel 11 and nothing shows again. Select another channel and it works, just channel 11 not working.

strange one this.

Guest Killhippie
1 hour ago, Newfie said:

Reinstalled, reset. Setup and this time the 2.4 was on at default. Selected channel 11 and nothing shows again. Select another channel and it works, just channel 11 not working.

strange one this.

Can you post a screenshot? Also what are your Wi-Fi settings and do you have both bands separated or are you you using smart connect? Did you alter anything else before changing channels?. Tbh I just left it on auto on the XR500, now I use a RAX120 so its a bit different but my XR500 did fine on auto, the old you must use 1-6-11 the non over lapping channels is not so important now and with most routers having auto detect they shift channels anyway so what is great on 11 today may be not so great later in the week. On 2.4Ghz leaving it on auto will mean in theory the router will pick a channel that works well that does not interfere with other networks and gives you the least interference, its long been known now that the other channels can be used in crowded areas, my XR500 liked 1 and 13 quite a lot and I never saw a deterioration on 2.4Ghz. I have to say this is an odd one unless the router is not letting you use channel 11 where you are, because of local restrictions. I know you said its set to Europe but are you in Europe and did you buy the router in your own country? Most odd indeed unless the router was designed for another country where channel 11 cant be used, I cant think why this is happening.

I’ll put it back to auto, it’s been fine for a year though.

ive always had smart control on from day one. No matter what I’ve tried there’s an issue on channel 11. It’s as if it’s lost that channel.

what I did this morning like fool was I thought I would enable the ht160 and from there I had no Wi-fi and had to reset which is when it all went belly up. It’s a year old so just in warranty.

i normally scan each day and 11 has just mine on it which was nice. 
ive now got a crap load of unknown devices. I think it’s telling me after a year it’s time to move on. 

Just spent an hour with netgear, full reset once again and no channel 11. Was told to leave in auto and I mentioned what happen if it selects it and he agreed I would lose connection on 2.4. 
ive a rma number if I wish to return it or I live with it. I’m fairly sure it’s going to go belly up at some point as it’s unusual to lose a channel as if there is a hardware fault as I can’t see any ref to this on here. 

Little update as it may help others that may in future have this issue. 2.4 channels are dead even though they show up on auto. auto selects channel 9 or 12 on my scanners. With smart control on as it decides to allocate the bands it means devices drop connection all the time Looks like the hardware failed on this side of the router. 

Will RMA the unit today for a replacement. 

Guest Killhippie
38 minutes ago, Newfie said:

Little update as it may help others that may in future have this issue. 2.4 channels are dead even though they show up on auto. auto selects channel 9 or 12 on my scanners. With smart control on as it decides to allocate the bands it means devices drop connection all the time Looks like the hardware failed on this side of the router. 

Will RMA the unit today for a replacement. 

Glad you got to the bottom of it, it did sound like a hardware issue but we never want to go there really unless all else fails. Glad you got it sorted. :)