Always-On-VPN not working properly

BulletSponge

Hi Duma-team,

my work VPN is being switched to Always-On-VPN. I am a tester for this and I am experiencing difficulties.

Setup is as follows:

work-laptop --> R1 (with DumaOS) --> modem/router-device (bridged) --> WAN

Basically, a connection is established and some services/applications work (like intranet or e-mail-service) but overall speed is very low.

What I can't do is connect to a filer/filer shares. Logfiles show (according to my VPN-administrator), that I am connected and network diagnosis shows that the filer is contacted, but no response is given.

I already tried disabling QoS, but unfortunately no improvement.

Changed test-setup as follows works:

work-laptop --> modem/router-device (bridged) --> WAN

Any idea what could be the cause? Highly appreciate your support.

Cheers.

Hi Fraser,

the speed is appoximately around 5 Mbit/s. Always-On-VPN is a MS-solution, using a  VPN RAS Gateway for point-to-site VPN connections for remote client computers.

It is pre-configured on my laptop, so whenever I am not directly connected to my organization's network, it will automatically try to establish remote access when I connect for example to my home network (wireless or wired - doesn't matter). Therefore it's more like a PC client you don't have to start separately and I am not using the Hybrid VPN feature (no config file has been given to me by my company). I used the disable QoS-feature in the OS-QoS menu as you assumed, giving me the appropriate warning in regard to QoS, which I accepted.

I've been working my way through other VPN-related forum topics concerning VPN difficulties. Could there be challenges regarding the protocol (Always-On-VPN uses IKEv2 and SSTP) or the Open VPN-version?

• Administrators

That's very odd it doesn't work with QoS off as there shouldn't be anything else that is affecting the network in that way. Have you tried port forwarding the required ports for the VPN to your device? I assume the device also isn't in the Geo-Filter?

• 1 month later...

[Solved]

Hi Fraser,

sorry for the late response, but port forwarding wasn't the issue.

We solved the problem by lowering the MTU-value within the Always-On-VPN-configuration (1300).

Now it works. The R1-setup/configuration is as I always used it.

Nevertheless thank you for your support.

• Administrators

That's fantastic, glad you managed to resolve the issue and thank you for letting us know the solution. I'll close this topic now but if you have any other issues/questions do make another topic and we'll be happy to help.