[SOLVED] Windows 10 version 1903 Google Chrome high CPU usage at start up

maazsk97

Yesterday after starting up my PC and playing a few games I noticed that literally every game that I play was stuttering and I was getting fps drops. I opened up task manager and noticed that a Chrome process was utilizing about 50-70% of the CPU. I opened file location of the process and it led to the Chrome directory folder. I ended the process and my CPU usage went back to normal but whenever I start up my pc this process is always there utilizing CPU at start up unless ended and after that it never starts up again until next start up. I have noticed about 6-7 Chrome processes at start up but only one of them is utilizing the CPU and other processes hardly use any system resources.

I suspected it to be some sort of virus and to rule that out I uninstalled Chrome and after that this issue seems to be fixed. No more high CPU usage at start up. I even scanned my pc with Malwarebytes and Windows defender but no viruses were detected. Not sure what is going on but if someone has ever faced this issue then what did you do to fix it? Thank you.

Edit: Finally found a fix. turns out it was the Google update service causing the issue. Disabling that at startup seems to have fixed the issue.