Connection issues sky

BENORMOUS

Right I may be way off here but I've just checked my statistics on my sky router and I have what seems like strange snr values on both downstream and upstream,my Downstream snr is 7 my upstream snr in 23.23,Is this normal?I know I have the same internet package as Raddy so maybe he could see what his are sitting like and maybe others if they could let me know what they have,I always thought both downstream and upstream were roughly the same like when I was on adsl I had 9 and 9 down and up.sorry if im talking nonsense here but I'm sure you guys will shed some light on this for me Cheers

You on Fibre now mate?

Basically if your snr is that high it's showing headroom for the line to go faster than it currently is. I've got full 20 Mbps upload and my snr is 15. I'd imagine if I was on the 10 Mbps upload product then my snr would be 20+ as well.

Sounds fine to me on face of it unless you have noticed changes recently (which could indicate interleaving etc).

Yeah I'm on the 80 down 20 up Buds, I spoke to sky last night and the guy said my snr was without a doubt too high,hes sending me a new micro filter and dsl cable to see if that sort out the noise issue,my mate who has the same isp package as me plays the same game as I'm in and he says it's running really smooth but mine is terrible feels so jittery something is wrong somewhere only a few weeks ago it was amazing had no problems at all

At least they are on it mate. Higher SNR is normally a good thing (ie stronger signal) but if something is amiss then best to get checked out.

Maybe Zennon will have a few more ideas when he wakes up! :)

What package are you on and what upload speed are you seeing?

Like Buds says if you are getting the max speed for your package and you have a high SNR it means there is head room to go faster.

If you are seing bellow your expected speeds and you have a high snr then there is usualy a wiring/isp router problem or a line fault.

I'm on the 80 down 20 up package with sky and It was incredibly smooth 2 weeks ago but it's now really really jittery,my mate who who has the same package plays in my game and says it's really smooth there's something wrong somewhere,I know when I had the fibre installed I had higher snr on the downstream and lower on the upstream.I run a speedtest last night on the duma wired with my laptop I got 13 ping 75 down 19 up I'm not losing any speed

Right your speed and pings are really good , but the snr has changed.

Ok have you tried a reboot of the Sky hub since? I would try this then check your stats , it could have been a noise burst that has increased and lowered on the two streams and now the burst has gone a reset might change them as long as it it just a burst that has caused it.

Over time as more and more people buy fibre then crosstalk is introduced as the fibre signal bleeds into one another it could also be this , bt are working on vectoring to lessen the effects.

Yeah I've tried the router reset,nothing changes it was the same and exactly the same,hoping it's a dodgy micro filter,it's the same micro filter ive had since before fibre was ordered I allready had the black sky hub so no new equipment was sent out to me,if it is due to crosstalk there's nothing I can really do is there?

Is your orginal filter just an ADSL filter? you do not use a ADSL micro filter with fibre , you have a new face plate fitted with VDSL filter built in.

Did they fit a VDSL v3 BT faceplate

If not you need to use a VDSL dongle filter.

Or you can buy the face plate then you wont need a separate filter Here

Holy SHET ive just got home and realised I was plugged into the test socket from like 4 months ago when I had adsl and there was issues on my line sky told me to do it,never took it out and it's been in there ever since,plugged the face plate back in screwed it up and run a test,lost 10mb on the download but upload is still 20,snr has come down on the upload to 15 and downstream snr has stayed same,not had chance to play but just did a speedtest and my ping was even lower?11 ping?ill play tonight and see how it feels,my master socket is awkward to get at so I never really see it but dragged all the cabinet out and realised I was in the wrong socket hopefully it's ok now

Archived