sorry if what I am asking is a basic IT question.  I just received my r1 and I am trying to hook it up to my orbi router. the r1 will be connected below my orbi.  I need to know the wan ip.  where would I get that?  is that my ip address I can get when I use showmyipaddress website?

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

You need to know the WAN IP of the R1 correct? You can find that in the Device Manager page. 

What is your physical setup? Sounds like you may not be setting it up for optimum performance.

correct r1. I found the ip on the device manager page. currently I have an orbi router set up.  I am only going to use the r1 for my xbox.  I want to keep the mesh network for everything else.

• Administrators

Great, I would suggest that you do the following setup however to get the most out of the router modem > R1 > Orbi. That will allow you to use the QoS on the R1 so it can control everything as well as the Orbi for WiFi.

I thought I would lose QoS if I put the Orbi below the r1

In order to achieve this, you would need to connect the R1 to the modem, and then connect the Orbi to the R1. The only problem is that the R1 doesn't have a DMZ mode, so if you wanted to use QoS it might be better to buy a different DumaOS compatible router such as an XR300 or XR500.