Kind of strange issue - XR500 Wireless and Wired cant share

Iv been having a very strange issue with my XR500 Router, been troubleshooting all week long and it seems like the wireless and wired networks cant file share between each other.

Iv got a NAS that I can connect to from my Win10PC on wired network no problem, will try the same with my Macbook on wireless and kept getting a location unavailable error. I then decided to try and access that same location over Ethernet with my Macbook and connected no problem. I have Plex running on that NAS and confirmed the same issue where if I access that media server over hardwire it works perfectly, but as soon as I try access Plex with iOS it warns that it cannot establish a direct connection and falls back to a indirect connection.

I can ping the NAS from both wired and wireless, so I was thinking it could be some kind of firewall built into the router but cant find any settings.

Running the latest firmware 2.3.2.40

Any help would be great! Thanks

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry you're having this issue, this is a Netgear feature so I would suggest you contact them here: http://support.netgear.com/ as they will be better suited to help you.

I'll still try to help though, how is the NAS connected is it to the XR500 through the USB port or via ethernet or from an upstream router?

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators
32 minutes ago, Odin said:

Amazingly the EXACT same issue I am having!

Seelix, when dod your issue start?

Have you contacted Netgear support about this? Also same question to you, we will try to help if we can.

On 5/1/2019 at 7:17 AM, Seelix said:

Iv been having a very strange issue with my XR500 Router, been troubleshooting all week long and it seems like the wireless and wired networks cant file share between each other.

Iv got a NAS that I can connect to from my Win10PC on wired network no problem, will try the same with my Macbook on wireless and kept getting a location unavailable error. I then decided to try and access that same location over Ethernet with my Macbook and connected no problem. I have Plex running on that NAS and confirmed the same issue where if I access that media server over hardwire it works perfectly, but as soon as I try access Plex with iOS it warns that it cannot establish a direct connection and falls back to a indirect connection.

I can ping the NAS from both wired and wireless, so I was thinking it could be some kind of firewall built into the router but cant find any settings.

Running the latest firmware 2.3.2.40

Any help would be great! Thanks

Hi Seelix,

What Modem are you using? Is it a DM200 by any chance? If so, a fix / workaround has been found. Lemme know and I will explain how to fix it as this method has solved my exact same issue.

Cheers.