eMTA cable modems??

bbursley

so, I am aware that i have a eMTA cable modem. Is there any issues concerning those over regular modems? In the past ISPs never had those, and now they do, I feel like from what i read it is used for VOIP? weird, but anyways, what are the issues if any that can be from using one versus one that isnt eMTA?

An eMTA cable modem is a modem that does two functions in one unit.. Basically its one device that gives you voice (telephone) and internet..  Where as a regular cable modem only does internet.. No telephone (voice).  As far as issues that is something im not aware of or have knowledge on.. Because I don't have a eMTA modem.. I have two separate units one for voice and one for internet.. So one could say I have two modems in my home.. Usually the downfall of having a combo as you have your limited to the type and brand..  So for an example lets say your provider only allows this type of unit and for whatever reason that particular unit you have has a puma chipset in it.. Then that could become an issue in that scenario.. Some say you have better performance with separate units.. Are you having any issues at all that makes you ask such a question?

Zippy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2019 at 4:15 PM, Zippy said:

An eMTA cable modem is a modem that does two functions in one unit.. Basically its one device that gives you voice (telephone) and internet..  Where as a regular cable modem only does internet.. No telephone (voice).  As far as issues that is something im not aware of or have knowledge on.. Because I don't have a eMTA modem.. I have two separate units one for voice and one for internet.. So one could say I have two modems in my home.. Usually the downfall of having a combo as you have your limited to the type and brand..  So for an example lets say your provider only allows this type of unit and for whatever reason that particular unit you have has a puma chipset in it.. Then that could become an issue in that scenario.. Some say you have better performance with separate units.. Are you having any issues at all that makes you ask such a question?

Zippy.

Not exactly. But I was thinking back to what you mentioned about modem/router combos and generally the more functions you add, the more issues. Where as separate units offer a specific focus on one thing. Not to mention the firmware is usually not great,as well as the other things you mentioned about the puma chipset. I have no way of really knowing what it uses since it is a branded device

20 minutes ago, bbursley said:

Not exactly. But I was thinking back to what you mentioned about modem/router combos and generally the more functions you add, the more issues. Where as separate units offer a specific focus on one thing. Not to mention the firmware is usually not great,as well as the other things you mentioned about the puma chipset. I have no way of really knowing what it uses since it is a branded device

That makes sense.. A lot of these combo units seem to be made for certain ISP. Which makes it really hard to find out what chipset they actually use.. I still have one of these combo units my ISP gave me a long time ago sitting in its box yet.. Still to this day I had no luck finding much info on it at all.. Other than its obsolete now.. One can have good luck with combo units.. The question becomes how lucky can one get..  If you have a stable ping and can work with it and it seems to work well for yah then I would say things should be fine.. As long as your happy with it and it works for you..  One thing you can do is test your unit by running the puma6 test on it.. That will give you an idea anyway what it possible has. Not to mention how well your current unit is working.. Check that test out if you want.. The test is only a few minutes to run.. dslreports I believe still has that up for use..

Zippy.

6 minutes ago, Zippy said:

That makes sense.. A lot of these combo units seem to be made for certain ISP. Which makes it really hard to find out what chipset they actually use.. I still have one of these combo units my ISP gave me a long time ago sitting in its box yet.. Still to this day I had no luck finding much info on it at all.. Other than its obsolete now.. One can have good luck with combo units.. The question becomes how lucky can one get..  If you have a stable ping and can work with it and it seems to work well for yah then I would say things should be fine.. As long as your happy with it and it works for you..  One thing you can do is test your unit by running the puma6 test on it.. That will give you an idea anyway what it possible has. Not to mention how well your current unit is working.. Check that test out if you want.. The test is only a few minutes to run.. dslreports I believe still has that up for use..

Zippy.

agreed. It uses Docsis 3.1. I guess that the eMTA models are just their new default product. It theoretically shouldn't hinder performance. But modems (or modulators as what they really are) generally have very few tasks aside bridging a connection between wan>lan and vice versa. Docsis 3.1 modems are actually pretty pricey too :(. so thats gonna be a no for me lol

25 minutes ago, bbursley said:

agreed. It uses Docsis 3.1. I guess that the eMTA models are just their new default product. It theoretically shouldn't hinder performance. But modems (or modulators as what they really are) generally have very few tasks aside bridging a connection between wan>lan and vice versa. Docsis 3.1 modems are actually pretty pricey too :(. so thats gonna be a no for me lol

I would have to agree with you.. Theoretically eMTA models should perform well.. Those types have usually been well tested on the ISP network.. And to be fair a good portion of people that get them are happy.. We are not the norm when we ask for things to be put in bridge mode or ask if we can purchase a modem of our choice only.. Very few people actually want what we are asking because they are happy with what the ISP gives them..  DOCSIS 3.1 modems are not cheap ha ha! Your right there! I had an eyeball popping moment when I first seen the price of a DOCSIS 3.1 stand alone modem..  I was like Yikes!! 😮  Hope whatever you have or get works well for yah :)

Zippy.