Network monitor usage bars

Could it be possible to have the bars show as what % of your overall connection each device is actually using? ( After you have set your bandwidth parameters yourself ofcourse )

It would be great if we could make the tooltip show where ever  we highlight on the usage bar rather than always appearing at the edge ( Far right hand side ) of the usage bar.

I can see 2 main problems with both requests.

I'm no programmer, but I have dabbled a bit. I can see useability issues with dynamic values displayed in a tool tip. For one, the bar you hover over is constantly moving. This means you might have the bar disappear from under the mouse and your tooltip would disappear.

With the %, the values inputted are not network maximum speed, it should be your network average speed or even minimum speed if your connection is fairly stable. If your network is running below the values you have inputted into QoS then QoS doesn't work at all.

The issue that arises here, if you have inputted your connection values into QoS properly you will get %'s over 100 when something maxxes out your connection.

Consumers are stupid for the most part, and having a percentage would create a support nightmare (my network is only using x% on your router or my network is using 120% what gives?)

An alternative I would suggest would be the ability to not have the graph dynamically adjust up and down with utilization, and instead has a set range. This would give a visualisation of percentage without confusing users with explicit values.

• Netduma Staff

This is an awesome discussion. Back when we were designing this feature we thought through the same problems. There are several issues with displaying a percentage and Azza has pretty much hit the nail on the head. (Especially with regards to support nightmares!)

We hope to one day have toggles for the Network Monitor to maybe change the type of graph, switch the units or other things. We don't want to overcomplicate it though - usability is our number one goal. Thanks for the feedback!