New ISP Setup Guidance Required.

Kaks07

Hi Guys,

Been a while I was here, don't know if this is in the right place to post. Apologies if it's not.

So, the story is, I finally get to ditch my Virgin and went with TalkTalk (Fibre with speed boost, 65/20) as they were being recommended here especially by Zennon. I have been searching and reading about how to get the best connection from my ISP but need some specific answers before I plunge into purchasing other equipment. Got to say the ISP is brilliant and seen noticeable difference in gameplay over virgin and with new DumaOS its just beautiful.

My questions are -

1. I want to get the best possible connection and have an improved gameplay. I have heard that people do not recommend TT router. Why? Does it have to do with the quality or does it affect ping/latency?

2. I want to buy HG612 and know it should be unlocked but eBay is littered with the ecolife 3B something version. Is this the one for me? Also how do I know if my cabinet will support that? I checked the links etc that give information on cabinets but did not get a clear answer. Have to say I have used a Huawei modem before on my address just not HG612.

3. I want to buy STP CAT 7 cables. Should I get anyone from eBay or a specific brand is advised?

4. My connection is via DHCP in Netduma settings and if I plug my cable into WAN on TT router it won't let me use internet. Is this normal?

5. Lastly, Any tips from experienced veterans would be appreciated. Also a lesson on what to look for as well :)

Apologies for the long post. I look forward to hearing from you guys.

Thanks,

Kaks

The hg612 can be found on ebay and on amazon. The ecolite is the ECI version of the openreach modem (for ECI street cabinets) and the HG612 is Hauwei and is for Hauwei street cabinets. Both modems will function fine but the HG612 can be easily unlocked to access line stats. Before they were ditched by isp's for an "all in 1 solution" they stopped giving them out by street cabinet and just gave customers what they had on installation day.  Isp's now give yout their own branded modem/routers and are of an inferior quality as it is all about cost saving measures rather than providing customers with high quality equipment. Talktalk is what is known as an LLU. They do not require a username and password to connect to their service and therefore is not PPPOE so there is no handshaking to be dome. Either an openreach modem, a draytek modem or a comtrend 3030 (which I am using at the moment) will do just fine for you. When you connect your router (netduma or other) and auto setup it should work straight away with little fuss. 

Cat 6 or 7 cables will do or even cat5e for the kind of connection you are using. Just make sure that they are shielded twisted pair which eliminates electrical interference  and provides a better quality connection. Also invest in a short vdsl cable rather than the cheapo 1 given to you by your isp (should be shielded also).

11 minutes ago, BIG__DOG said:

The hg612 can be found on ebay and on amazon. The ecolite is the ECI version of the openreach modem (for ECI street cabinets) and the HG612 is Hauwei and is for Hauwei street cabinets. Both modems will function fine but the HG612 can be easily unlocked to access line stats. Before they were ditched by isp's for an "all in 1 solution" they stopped giving them out by street cabinet and just gave customers what they had on installation day.  Isp's now give yout their own branded modem/routers and are of an inferior quality as it is all about cost saving measures rather than providing customers with high quality equipment. Talktalk is what is known as an LLU. They do not require a username and password to connect to their service and therefore is not PPPOE so there is no handshaking to be dome. Either an openreach modem, a draytek modem or a comtrend 3030 (which I am using at the moment) will do just fine for you. When you connect your router (netduma or other) and auto setup it should work straight away with little fuss. 

Cat 6 or 7 cables will do or even cat5e for the kind of connection you are using. Just make sure that they are shielded twisted pair which eliminates electrical interference  and provides a better quality connection. Also invest in a short vdsl cable rather than the cheapo 1 given to you by your isp (should be shielded also).

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. Appreciate the help :)

Regarding the HG612, which I want to invest in because of the finances - I see them listed as Huawei EchoLife HG612 3B Unlocked. Is this the one? as it is confusing me since you mentioned Echolite is for ECI cabinets?

Excellent suggestion on the vdsl cable as well. I will buy something that is shielded from maplin or somewhere today. Couldn't believe I overlooked this fact for all these years. However, the new DumaOS bluffer bloat is so good that yesterday it was off and I was getting destroyed.

That said when I do speed test on dsl report my blufferbloat is A+ and overall is A but my quality is C. Any suggestions how I can improve on that?

Thanks in advance,

Kaks

I may not be quite accurate regarding ecolite as I am going off memory as I have not owned 1 for about a year. But the HG612 is deffo hauwei and for a hauwei street cabinet. It is suggested that you buy a modem to match the street cabinet that you are connected to. Here is a link to identify your cabinet:

https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/fttc-cabinets.htm

your vdsl cable should really be twisted pair and not more than 1 metre to 1.5 metre long.

27 minutes ago, BIG__DOG said:

I may not be quite accurate regarding ecolite as I am going off memory as I have not owned 1 for about a year. But the HG612 is deffo hauwei and for a hauwei street cabinet. It is suggested that you buy a modem to match the street cabinet that you are connected to. Here is a link to identify your cabinet:

https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/fttc-cabinets.htm

your vdsl cable should really be twisted pair and not more than 1 metre to 1.5 metre long.

Thanks for the help :)

is the vdsl the rj11 cable from the phone socket? Couldn't find that in shielded. Or are you referring to the cable from hg612 to Netduma?

Cheers,

Kaks

36 minutes ago, Kaks07 said:

Thanks for the help :)

is the vdsl the rj11 cable from the phone socket? Couldn't find that in shielded. Or are you referring to the cable from hg612 to Netduma?

Cheers,

Kaks

it is shielded rj11 to rj11. They can be found on amazon and ebay (STP = shielded twisted pair and UTP unshielded twisted pair). You can buy custom made STP cables made from cat cables that have rj11's fitted on either end.

50 minutes ago, BIG__DOG said:

it is shielded rj11 to rj11. They can be found on amazon and ebay (STP = shielded twisted pair and UTP unshielded twisted pair). You can buy custom made STP cables made from cat cables that have rj11's fitted on either end.

Cheers for the help mate.

you think SFTP would be better than STP?

cheers