A Few (probably easy) questions

Fazor

Hi, I have a few settings questions that I wanted to run by you guys.  I tried to search them as best as I could...some are sorta specific to my setup. 

So I use 2 routers...The R1 for wired and then a Nighthawk for my wireless.  I have my PC and Xbox One X wired...everything else is wireless.   I play PUBG and BO4 on my Xbox One X...nothing else. 

1. For the Geo Filter, I added my Xbox as a device. Should I always keep it in Filtering Mode...or should I turn that on and off each time I'm gaming? 

2. What does it do and when/how often should I flush the Cloud?

3. Anti Buffer...Should I keep it in the "when high priority traffic detected" mode all the time...or only when I'm gaming? 

4. Prior to the OS update I turned off the "wifi" section as I use the Nighthawk for that.  I should turn wifi off again on R1 OS again right? 

5. I use Port Forwarding and I added all the ports...so I should turn off UPNP correct?

6. On my xbox I created a static IP address.  So on the R1 under the LAN DHCP setting, I have that enabled, and I checkmarked the Reserve IP address for Xbox One and put the last 3 digits of the IP address in.  Correct? 

7. Device manager...What device type should I select for the Nighthawk Router?

8. I also have a PS3 that my wife uses for Netflix/Hulu and stuff, but not gaming.  For some reason that is showing up on the device manager even when turned off, and it has 3 IP address.  Is that normal?  Also...since we don't game on the PS3...should I still select "Playstation" as the device type? 

That's all I have for now.  Sorry for the list but I assume these questions will be quite simple for you.  Thanks in advance! 

Fazor

• Administrators

Hi Fazor,

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, for BO4 I recommend Filtering Mode. If you're playing PUBG, you might prefer to switch to Spectating Mode if you just want to see where the server is, and then exit if it's not where you like. But in general, Filtering Mode is what you need.

2. It contacts our server for the latest IP database, No real need to do this unless instructed (not no harm doing it if you want)

3. I recommend High Priority Traffic Detected mode - it just enables QoS when you play games, and disables it when you're not.

4. No need to turn WiFi on if you're just using it for wired. It's better in some ways to have it off because it prevents the WiFi interfering with the Nighthawk

5. You can still keep UPNP on. It can pick up any other ports you might have missed.

6. You only need to do one of them - either reseve or assign a static IP. NOt the end of the world doing both, but it's easier to manage if you just do one.

7. I don't think we have a router type on there - so just put it down as Computer (it makes no difference)

8. If she has connected both wirelessly and wired it will appear twice. But that's very odd it has appeared three times so not sure what happened there. Delete them all if you can when it's offline to clean it up (then just one will appear the next time she connects). Playstation device type is also fine - but you might want to classifiy it as a Computer or Laptop as that's more aligned to what it's used for.

Hope that all makes sense and that you are enjoying DumaOS!