Goodput Packet Size Question

After doing some tests and disabling "Goodput" then reenabling it, I get the following message:

Each packet has a header usually about 40 - 60 bytes out of 1500 bytes. Bandwidth allocation includes the header by default so for a test like speedtest which doesn't measure headers it will seem like your speed is lower than it is. Goodput means assign extra bandwidth to accommodate the headers so your bandwidth is closer to the speedtest result.

I'm a little confused on the subject so I'm inquiring him for a little additional info.

So, each packet has 40-60 bytes out of 1500.. My Current MTU is 1500 because packets stop fragmenting at 1472 - adding 28 for ip headers - and my MTU should be 1500.

With 40-60 bytes out of 1500 that would be a minimum of I'm guessing 1460.

Will this affect my MTU packet fragmentation and possible cause lag? I understand it is very important to have correct MTU values in order to stop packets fragmenting.

• Administrators

Hi Netrix - this link is useful for learning more about packet size and MTU: https://www.incapsula.com/blog/mtu-mss-explained.html - it explains what makes up the header.

As a general rule, MTU packet fragmentation won't cause you to lag unless you do something especially dumb.