Game Experiences - Things you have noticed?

Not a "review" so much as little things you might have noticed since installing the R1 ([Duma] as some of us are rocking in our clan tags.) :D

I run two software development teams as a PM and a SCRUM master.  Neither project is exciting, nor do I work for MSFT or Amazon, or on anything you might have heard about.  But one of the things that does help tremendously, especially with bug fixes, is when I can have one of my Devs or QS guys talk directly with a front line user.  

I can literally be part of the same conversation and not hear subtle things that these guys and gals pick up on, and then afterward the solution is more easily identified, even if it's a metric ton of work.  Other times the person can be talking about, say, performance and they say something like "after I hit run, the report used to lag out, but now it gives me a little indication and the report generates much faster".  The guys will all be nodding their heads and afterwards they will talk about how the work they did on "X" actually tied into that, so they know it was working as intended and is sort of a "feel good" moment for them.

I was thinking that might be helpful here.  There are super technical guys who are testing already, like abc123 who is active in just about every thread and always helpful, but there are also those who want to help, but just aren't "wired" that way.   :huh:  Also, it's NEVER a bad thing to get helpful feedback, either good or bad, when you are building something that is the first of it's kind.  

These folks have really stepped out into the darkness here and are providing a real solution to a problem that has cost many a rage quit, broken controller or household drama the world over, I am sure.  LOL

So, here are a couple of things I noticed.

Location:  Seattle area / cable modem / speed 62/13 (at time of last test)

System: PS3 and 360 - both running Black Ops 2, both had several hours of game play since router install.

Times played:  Mostly evenings, 1700-2100PST (GMT -8), but also daylight game play over the holidays.

Findings:

2. Kill-Death Ratio: Obviously K/D went up, more kills per deaths per game.  I found that I was winning more gunfights, my shots seemed more crisp in that I was hitting more difficult shots (like taking someone off a head glitch with only a couple of rounds).  This I immediately chalked up to better overall connection and reducing lag.  
  3. More assists:  I used to try and factor my assists into my game play when it was obvious I was lagging.  Go 8-13 on a 2-bar, but with 6 assists?  That is more like going even in my book.  But with great connection, I noticed that I would almost double my usual 3-4 assists per game.  I honestly think this is a result of winning more gunfights, but also putting rounds into people I wasn't hitting before due to "Aim resist" when facing multiple enemy players (next).
  4. 2:1 and 3:1 situations:  I immediately noticed that upon coming across two (or more) people, who were moving and not sniping or camping a sight line, I was no longer getting that heavy drag of my crosshair as the two people split direction.  Normally:  One guy goes left side of my screen, the other jumps right side and I am left hanging in between them because the aim assist doesn't know which one to target, thus I am left shooting air and getting my brains let out for a walk.   :angry:   This changed immediately and I noticed where I would usually be lucky to get the first kill, I was getting that kill and putting bullets into the second guy, or third, before losing the gunfight. Sometimes I get them both and still have ammo left.   :blink:   Not only am I getting more kills, but I am getting more shots on more people, which is always good. :D
  5. Time finding a lobby:  This seems to be tied directly to what game type I play and how big of a sphere I allow for my connection.  Playing a common game mode like Team Deathmatch, I can find a lobby within 100-150km from my place almost any time I play during a normal work day (get home from work, plug in around 1730hrs and can find games).  If I try to play an obscure game mode like multi-team, I have to increase the Geo-filter to include half of the US to find more than one lobby.  Anytime I have had a lingering placement, I just reach over, move the slider to the right to increase my range, and have been put in a lobby within 5 seconds, seemingly, every time.  (Note:  I haven't tested this on AW yet, but I will soon).

Some game play pr0n:

Yeah_it_works.jpg

(5) games after about an hour of warm up

Does_it_work.jpg

My first full game, literally, was a 34-0 effort on Nuketown of all maps.  I was so giddy I couldn't stop laughing and the next 4 games were over about 30 minutes as I went back to watch the replay a couple of times.   :P

I am just wondering if there are other things that maybe after some time playing, folks might begin to notice and can report to help inform and educate.

Thanks for reading,

JD

If I may, I would suggest that this thread be moved out into the public side.

Why, so everybody can see the benefit of this fine product and share their experiences.

Additionally, it would be helpful to people that are on the fence about making the investment, this could very well help them in their purchasing decision.

Just thinking out loud ... 

Guest Netduma_Iain

Thanks for the amazing review, it greats to see a fellow software dev enjoying the product. 

I don't know if you've read the lean startup. We have changed the way we work based on that. Before I read I often spent ages trying to perfect things but the key insight of the book is you need to make what people want. Selling the routers has clearly identified what people like, what additionally they would like, etc  so development time can be allocated wisely.

I'm paraphrasing but the book said something like: "You can make something that's perfect, but no one wants it.". So yes we are extremely feedback driven and hopefully people can see that by our timely upgrades. Once we sort out the geo-filter and few minor bits and bobs(some Apple wifi issues) we will start tackling additional features that people have requested like making the host more visible, allow greater zoom, etc. 

But we have something big coming up soon that may just be a game changer, not sure if it will work though. So we will wait and see :) 

I was thinking that might be helpful here.  There are super technical guys who are testing already, like abc123 who is active in just about every thread and always helpful, but there are also those who want to help, but just aren't "wired" that way.   :huh:  Also, it's NEVER a bad thing to get helpful feedback, either good or bad, when you are building something that is the first of it's kind.  

Good review and notes

lol, one thing i've noticed in game is a lot more people cursing at me...a lot more...

And a lot of people saying how impossible it is that I could kill 3v1... :) I also play with a keyboard and mouse and play competitively, but the difference is more than noticeable for me.

Good review and notes

lol, one thing i've noticed in game is a lot more people cursing at me...a lot more...

And a lot of people saying how impossible it is that I could kill 3v1... :) I also play with a keyboard and mouse and play competitively, but the difference is more than noticeable for me.

Mouse and keyboard on console?  Or are you playing competitive pc games

I noticed a huge improvement in the quality of the games I would get (Xbox 360 BO2 and Xbox1 AW) and my stats showed big improvement as well.  There was also a lot more hate mail in the message box.  I turn off the game chat when I play, I can't handle all the little kid chatter and all the cursing but I imagine there's a lot of that going on as well.

Thanks for the amazing review, it greats to see a fellow software dev enjoying the product.

I don't know if you've read the lean startup. We have changed the way we work based on that. Before I read I often spent ages trying to perfect things but the key insight of the book is you need to make what people want. Selling the routers has clearly identified what people like, what additionally they would like, etc so development time can be allocated wisely.

I'm paraphrasing but the book said something like: "You can make something that's perfect, but no one wants it.". So yes we are extremely feedback driven and hopefully people can see that by our timely upgrades. Once we sort out the geo-filter and few minor bits and bobs(some Apple wifi issues) we will start tackling additional features that people have requested like making the host more visible, allow greater zoom, etc.

But we have something big coming up soon that may just be a game changer, not sure if it will work though. So we will wait and see :)

[/quote

Your last sentence is kind of a teaser!

I don't know if you've read the lean startup. We have changed the way we work based on that. Before I read I often spent ages trying to perfect things but the key insight of the book is you need to make what people want. Selling the routers has clearly identified what people like, what additionally they would like, etc  so development time can be allocated wisely.

I believe in the game changer. I believe. 

If I may, I would suggest that this thread be moved out into the public side.

Why, so everybody can see the benefit of this fine product and share their experiences.

Thanks.  I actually have about two pages of write up I did for early testing and was going to post, but then yesterday there was a thread asking us to hold off for the new patch, so it's in limbo.  Lurking.  Kind of like how I used to picture Vonderhaar before the Net Duma. :D

Archived