VPN and traffic prioritisation

Hi there,

I've been using VPN on and off to help stabilise my ping since I got my XR500. It works pretty well, and gives me a ping in the sweet spot of 40-60ms.

Pre the latest update (v2.3.2.22) I thought traffic prioritisation worked with VPN? Currently, it doesn't seem to. Anyone know for sure if it should?

Also DumaOS doesn't seem to log any packets under traffic prioritisation while VPN is active either - is that normal?

It's a shame because, I still want the traffic to work if I'm using the VPN - my family still has a podcast and youtube habit - regardless of VPN or not!

Thanks in advance for any help,

Jason

• Administrators

Hi Jason, you're correct Traffic Prioritization doesn't work correctly when the VPN is enabled. It does with VPN Hybrid, we're pushing Netgear to get it released or at least allow us to provide a beta of it as its pretty much done on our part now.

Hi Fraser,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I guess that it didn't work in the previous firmware either then?

Still, VPN Hybrid sounds promising, looking forward to seeing it released!

Thanks again for your reply,

Jason

• 4 weeks later...

Won't be available in drop down initially but can be used using the advanced section and the OpenVPN config files

advanced section ? do you mean under VPN SERVICE ?

this isnt what i want from my router. i want the router to run the VPN service for IPVANISH not HIDEMYASS, so i dont have to enabling and disabling a client tool on each and every device i want to use. (currently IPVANISH has its own client tool for windows etc)

are you saying that IPVANISH will never be an option other than HIDEMYASS ?

• Administrators

advanced section ? did you mean under VPN SERVICES ?

this isnt what i want from my router. i want the router to run the VPN service for IPVANISH not HIDEMYASS

are you saying this will never happen ?

What? I'm referring to the VPN Hybrid, don't worry its a client.