two network-related suggestions

After struggling with networking issues today,  I've come to two suggestions which I think are important:

1)  Make interaction with the UI independent of its ability to communicate with the Internet, or at least allow basic configuration changes without internet connectivity.  A lot of my time today has been spent waiting for the R1 to reset internal state or timeout just so the UI will register my changes or load certain pages so I can make changes.  Decoupling the UI from its dependence on Internet access would have eliminated that.

2) Have something in the Settings panel that allows enabling or disabling the VPN functionality, rather than having it present on the VPN page itself, which seems to never load under certain circumstances (usually related to problems with the VPN config or network access).  Being able to toggle the VPN off when the router config's in a weird state might also go a long way toward resolving #1 above.

Just my thoughts.

EDIT: Make that three suggestions:

3) Either display MAC addresses in the Device Manager page, or allow device names to be edited from the DHCP Leases section of the Settings page.  It's quickest to look at an arp table or suchlike to get the MACs for everything on the net and then map those to the actual devices, rather than having to go to each device and figure out what IP they've been assigned via DHCP.

• Administrators

Good suggestions mcl, I'm sure Iain will see this and comment when he can on what he thinks. In terms of 2 the VPN uses the cloud and so can't load if it can't access the cloud, which personally sounds fine to me as it indicates theres a problem if its infinity loading. In the interest of making the UI as friendly of possible thats why theyre named devices instead of mac addresses, though I'm sure if enough people wanted it, it could be implemented.

Good suggestions mcl, I'm sure Iain will see this and comment when he can on what he thinks. In terms of 2 the VPN uses the cloud and so can't load if it can't access the cloud, which personally sounds fine to me as it indicates theres a problem if its infinity loading. In the interest of making the UI as friendly of possible thats why theyre named devices instead of mac addresses, though I'm sure if enough people wanted it, it could be implemented.

Oh, I'm not suggesting replacing the names with the MACs.  I'd just like to see the MACs as well as the IPs in the Edit section of Device Manager, so it's easier to know which device is which when faced with a screenful of unnamed devices.

**Moved the support that was in here to http://forum.netduma.com/topic/2526-geo-filter-ping-going-through-vpn-even-with-exception-enabled/where I put your other issues** - Fraser

Archived