Suggestion for WAN settings

In a future version, I'd love to see the ability to set primary and secondary DNS separated from the Static WAN IP settings, so we can maintain our DHCP leases yet override the DNS settings with those of our choosing (particularly for those using VPN, to help eliminate DNS leakage).

I didn't even think to check there. :)    Thanks!

Though I would still like the feature on the router as well, as it also needs to make DNS requests, and I'd like, if at all possible, for those to go through my VPN provider rather than my ISP.

• Netduma Staff

I didn't even think to check there. :)    Thanks!

Though I would still like the feature on the router as well, as it also needs to make DNS requests, and I'd like, if at all possible, for those to go through my VPN provider rather than my ISP.

If on the router you go to Settings >> LAN and use a custom DNS, the DNS request shouldn't use your ISP's DNS servers and should instead use the ones you have defined there :) What feature is it extra that you would like to be added?

If that's the case, then nothing extra.  I was under the impression that the LAN settings only applied to the DHCP leases handed out by the R1, and the WAN settings applied to network activity initiated by the R1 itself (e.g., DNS queries sent out via the R1 software when, for example, interacting with the R1's interface).

• Netduma Staff

If that's the case, then nothing extra.  I was under the impression that the LAN settings only applied to the DHCP leases handed out by the R1, and the WAN settings applied to network activity initiated by the R1 itself (e.g., DNS queries sent out via the R1 software when, for example, interacting with the R1's interface).

Iain will be able to correct me if I'm wrong but I think that the DNS servers specified in there would be used for everything including WAN communications  :)

Iain will be able to correct me if I'm wrong but I think that the DNS servers specified in there would be used for everything including WAN communications  :)

I believe you are correct from my understanding of the settings

• Administrators

The DNS settings are applied to all devices as the routers DNS lookup itself will be what you set there. I didn't really know whether to put it in LAN/WAN. Sorry for the confusion. 

Archived