Geo Filter unable to block host

Cjrouse

Hey, I'm having an issue where the Geo filter does not give me the option to block a particular host. I've checked the legend, and somehow there is a host that is indicated as always connect eventhough they are well outside of the ranges that I set. As in from one side of the country to the other. I never chose this host but it keeps connecting me there. I experience this on AW. Any advice on how to fix this?

• Netduma Staff

Hey, I'm having an issue where the Geo filter does not give me the option to block a particular host. I've checked the legend, and somehow there is a host that is indicated as always connect eventhough they are well outside of the ranges that I set. As in from one side of the country to the other. I never chose this host but it keeps connecting me there. I experience this on AW. Any advice on how to fix this?

Hi Cjrouse, welcome to the forums :)

I suspect you are actually connecting via ping assist - the symbols are similar. Can you check to updated legend here to confirm this.

Hey, I have both activated, ping assist and geofilter range. The symbol I get is a combination of the sparkly circle around a nuke symbol. But I've never selected this host as someone on my approved list. Should I turn ping assist off, and if I do that, will it connect me to high ping games found locally? Ideally I would like a low ping and fairly close in range.

• Netduma Staff

Hey, I have both activated, ping assist and geofilter range. The symbol I get is a combination of the sparkly circle around a nuke symbol. But I've never selected this host as someone on my approved list. Should I turn ping assist off, and if I do that, will it connect me to high ping games found locally? Ideally I would like a low ping and fairly close in range.

Perhaps you should take a read of this to see what ping assist does :) It doesn't affect anything within your GeoFilter, it just allows you to connect to hosts outside your GeoFilter that are within your radius.

If you haven't added it to the allowed list then it must be the nuke symbol. You should be fine to disable ping assist too. You might want to also take a look at this which shows other reasons that you could connect to hosts outside of the GeoFilter.

Hopefully that helps you out.

OK, so I turned off ping assist and set my Geo filter to 374:km. I still get thrown to either a host or server about 3,000 plus km away. I even tried moving the home icon and that doesn't work either. So now what?

Sometimes the simple things catch us out. What does the button below the device with active geo-filter say? It will either be enable or disable.

Or if it is the same host you keep getting (you can check the ID to make sure is same) then you need to be sitting idle (not searching or in a game) for 2 mins before the anti cheat features stops showing that host on the geo-filter. In other words once their circle / little square disappears then you shouldn't connect back to it with strict on and PA off.

Finally if all of the above is done and not helping. Power cycle the netduma and try again :) (switch it off and on works for all things in life!)

• Netduma Staff

Perhaps you should take a read of this to see what ping assist does :) It doesn't affect anything within your GeoFilter, it just allows you to connect to hosts outside your GeoFilter that are within your radius.

If you haven't added it to the allowed list then it must be the nuke symbol. You should be fine to disable ping assist too. You might want to also take a look at this which shows other reasons that you could connect to hosts outside of the GeoFilter.

Hopefully that helps you out.

Can you read through this and make sure you have everything set as it suggests please :)

OK, so I turned off ping assist and set my Geo filter to 374:km. I still get thrown to either a host or server about 3,000 plus km away. I even tried moving the home icon and that doesn't work either. So now what?

Make sure in the red box below the device you are trying to use the geofilter for it says "Disable" that means the filter is currently on. Also make sure you have strict mode checked if you don't want to connect to hosts outside your filter. What I found works best for me is to set my home location in the ocean, filter size set to the smallest and let ping assist set around 65-75ms find my games. Generally I have very low ping games that way.

OK, I do understand how disable and enable works. I have checked lobbies with it on and off to compare the difference. I am currently using strict mode as well. What I have discovered now is that I'm getting to a correct host for one game at a time inside the geifilter. After the first game, if I do not back out and wait to start a new game, the game will throw me into another lobby with the server outside of the Geo filter. Right now after every game I have to back out wait a little bit and then start a new search. Kind of annoying. I haven't tried it partying up with friends yet, so I don't know how it will react when I try that. Maybe it will run better.

• Netduma Staff

OK, I do understand how disable and enable works. I have checked lobbies with it on and off to compare the difference. I am currently using strict mode as well. What I have discovered now is that I'm getting to a correct host for one game at a time inside the geifilter. After the first game, if I do not back out and wait to start a new game, the game will throw me into another lobby with the server outside of the Geo filter. Right now after every game I have to back out wait a little bit and then start a new search. Kind of annoying. I haven't tried it partying up with friends yet, so I don't know how it will react when I try that. Maybe it will run better.

So just to confirm, are you still connecting to hosts that are outside of your GeoFilter that aren't due to Ping Assist? :)

Yea, I turned ping assist off. I did just reset the router and then tried it on PlayStation instead of Xbox. On the PlayStation network it worked great. Appears the issue only happens on Xbox for some reason. I will continue to monitor it the next couple of days and post back what happens. I do have the netduma paired with another router, so I will check that and try it without pairing to see what happens.

• Netduma Staff

Yea, I turned ping assist off. I did just reset the router and then tried it on PlayStation instead of Xbox. On the PlayStation network it worked great. Appears the issue only happens on Xbox for some reason. I will continue to monitor it the next couple of days and post back what happens. I do have the netduma paired with another router, so I will check that and try it without pairing to see what happens.

Ok, let us know how you get on. Remember that you have to wait 2 mins after disconnecting to allow the the router to block the hosts. This could be the problem that you are experiencing :)

Archived