Modem only vs Modem and Netduma - Benefits?

IREWolfman

I've removed my netduma due to freezing and the box resetting. Instead I have my consoles connected directly to the modem for Nat1. Is there a benefit to having the Netduma connected to my console? And just my console....

I have my providers box in bridge mode and my Netgear connected to it for wifi. My netgear has some stuff wired to it like the TV. The bridged modem has two ps4's connected to it. I have 100Mb down and 20 Mb up. And pings of under 10 locally. I waiting for the new firmware to hopefully fix the issues I have. But the question still is, what does the Netduma offer my PS4 when its Nat 1.

• Netduma Staff

I've removed my netduma due to freezing and the box resetting. Instead I have my consoles connected directly to the modem for Nat1. Is there a benefit to having the Netduma connected to my console? And just my console....

I have my providers box in bridge mode and my Netgear connected to it for wifi. My netgear has some stuff wired to it like the TV. The bridged modem has two ps4's connected to it. I have 100Mb down and 20 Mb up. And pings of under 10 locally. I waiting for the new firmware to hopefully fix the issues I have. But the question still is, what does the Netduma offer my PS4 when its Nat 1.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

The Netduma would offer the ability to filter hosts using the Geo-filter. It is designed to improve your gameplay experience - there are many other factors than just NAT type. With the Netduma, you would receive a type 2 NAT, which means that your NAT is open but you are behind a router. There are no negative consequences of this.

If you connected all your other devices to the Netduma as well, you would be able to use the Congestion Control features to eliminate lag caused by local devices. This is something only a router can achieve, and the Netduma does it best. You could put your console in Hyper Traffic to give it priority, and get better bufferbloat scores and get rid of local congestion using Anti-flood.

We can help you with any issues you may be having with the Netduma - all you need to do is let us know and ask for advice.

Is the Vlan function worth using to then? I was looking at getting vyprvpn. Is it correct then that I go Modem > Netduma > Netgear WiFi

Hpw many devices does the Netduma support? I think thats what froze it. In my house there is a Wifi: 6 Mobiles, 1 Tablet, 2 Laptops, 2 Sky Boxes, 1 Chromecast, 1 Surround Sound System with Bluray. Wired: 2 PS4's, 1 TV, 1 Netgear D7000.

• Netduma Staff

If you're using a VPN there's no real reason why you would need to use the VLAN function. The Netduma will be able to support all of those devices. Please let us know if the Netduma freezes up again and we'll try some alternate solutions.

Do you understand that your D7000 is a modem and router combo? So if you had the R1 connected to it, you were in a double NAT condition and would cause problems. 

Did you have the R1 in the D7000s DMZ?