Connecting Netduma and Router through a wall

I need some advice on a set up I am planning for the Netduma R1 for Fibre Broadband.  Currently I have it set as recommended by the manual in that the phone line connects through to my router and in turn connects into the Netduma.

The phone connection is outside the room I am in so I have had to make a hole in the wall and push a 2m ADSL cable through with a power cable for the phone into the computer room to the router.  I've drawn a crude diagram to give you an idea (see Netduma1.jpg).  My concern is that the power cable might be disrupting the data flow to the router via the ADSL cable and thereby upsetting the data flow to the Netduma R1.  By than I mean noise might be on the line which could be reducing or degrading the signal quality giving possibly lower speeds or causing additional pings, jitter and such like.

I've had an idea to move the router next to the phone using a 1m ADSL cable so a shorter distance for a cleaner signal then using a Cat5 (or Cat6 can't remember but I know it is supposed to be a good one for a decent connection) cable through the wall to connect to the Netduma R1 (see netduma2.jpg).  I'm hoping this set up will ensure a better connection and less disruption for the Netduma R1 router. 

I've tried to find information on what problems could arise running a power cable next to an ADSL could cause.  In the good old days of Dial Up Modems I found a 56k modem was reduced to a 28.8K speed because a power cable next to the modem cable disrupted the line.  Making sure it was clear brought the speed back up or at least appeared to.

My current broadband connection speed is 40mb download, 1.99mb upload, give or take depending on the day and amount of people in the county using the net.  I have done internet connection tests which give reasonable connections at different times, but I do failures on testing for ping (error denotes possible firewall issues in the routers).

I have done a pathping test and it seems pretty reasonable

C:\Users\danie>pathping -4 www.google.com

Tracing route to www.google.com [172.217.20.68]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
  0  DESKTOP-6HMKI9I.lan [bLOCKED]
  1  R1.lan [bLOCKED]
  2  192.168.BLOCKED
  3     *        *        *
Computing statistics for 50 seconds...
            Source to Here   This Node/Link
Hop  RTT    Lost/Sent = Pct  Lost/Sent = Pct  Address
  0                                           DESKTOP-6HMKI9I.lan [bLOCKED]
                                0/ 100 =  0%   |
  1    1ms     0/ 100 =  0%     0/ 100 =  0%  R1.lan [192.168.BLOCKED]
                                0/ 100 =  0%   |
  2    2ms     0/ 100 =  0%     0/ 100 =  0%  192.168.BLOCKED

Trace complete.  (NB> BLOCKED hides the ip address

I have performed an Ookla test in the past which showed the line I have as being a B+ for gaming.  Basically saying it will work, but not at optimal levels.  Ideally I would need something a lot better, hopefully an A rating.

I would appreciate any advice on this. 

post-12174-0-74980000-1499854356_thumb.jpg

post-12174-0-82072500-1499854505_thumb.jpg

• Netduma Staff

Hi, welcome to the forum! Personally I haven't encountered any issues that could arise from having a router too close to another router, and I should think that changing your current setup to diagram B might not make the difference you want it to. Make sure you're using CAT 6 cables, but also try out these settings ad you can improve bufferbloat / speeds through using the correct settings:

- Type the speeds you receive from a wired speed test into Set Bandwidth
- If less than 50mbps, use the Pre-emptive Algorithm. If more, Reactive Algorithm
- 70% / 70% anti-flood (You could test and change this to improve your bufferbloat score)
- Share excess enabled
- Reset device prioritisation & apply
- Disable IPv6 in WAN, LAN & misc (Unless you know that you are on IPv6)
- Disable deep packet in misc
- Enable turbo mode if over 120mbps
- Enable super turbo mode if over 300mbps
- Ensure the ethernet cables you're using connecting the R1 to hub & R1 to PC are Cat5e+/can handle your speeds.
- Do a wired speed test from a PC

Please let us know how you get on with the above settings and any changes you make to your setup :)

• Netduma Staff

It's still the same.  Just wondering if having a power cable next to the ADSL is a bad idea?

I can't see any reason why a power cable next to the ADSL will cause anything negative to happen, or anything at all to happen. In my opinion, you should be perfectly fine to do it.

or try powerline (i think thats there name) adapters they use your houses electrical circuit to connect your router to your device , plug one into the 3 pin wall socket near the router (it needs to be plugged into the wall and not a 4 way extension lead but you can then plug the lead into it if needed) then plug the ethernet into the socket on the adapter and do the same with the other one near your device , they are sold in pairs on amazon.

i use them as my ps4 is 2 floors above the telephone socket/routers and my set up is telephone line >isp fttc hub>isp router>netduma and everything is connected to the duma my ping is around 11-16ms , they can handle upto 500mb speeds so no worries on that score.

some have the ethernet ports in different place ie some on top some underneath so check the pics on amazon to see which would be best for you and some are pass through and others arnt id get the pass through so your not loosing a 3 pin socket.

the only downside that iv come across is that they get clogged up with static and stop working every 2 months or so but the fix is easy you just unplug them from the wall for an hour or so , plug them back in they will connect to each other on there own (leave them for a minute or so to connect) and your set to go again , i normally unplug mine once a week then take the dogs out for a walk then plug them back in when i come back.