Static IP, Superior peering and Port-Blocking...??

Stealth_01

Hi all,

So my contract with BT is up at the end of next month and although I did request for the g.fast trials I haven't heard anything from them yet, so i'll probably be welcoming IDNets gamer package to replace them. But I do have a few questions in mind which I thought some of the guys on here could clear up for me.

1. What differance does a static IP have on online gaming, if any?

2. What do they mean by superior peering, and what are the advantages of it? Here's what they had to say but i dont understand the benefits of it..

Our core global Internet connectivity is presented in London at LINX & LONAP, in Frankfurt at DE-CIX, in Amsterdam at AMS-IX, and in Stockholm at NETNOD, where we have multiple transit and peering connections with over 700 global networks, enabling us to deliver data from around the world at incredibly fast speeds. Some of our more prominent gaming peers include: Blizzard, iSD, Multiplay, and Riot, to name a few.

3. And finally what does the term port-blocking mean, and how would port-blocking effect gaming?

Thanks in advance for all your input

Regards,

• Netduma Staff

Hi; first of all, Static IP's don't increase your network performance so you won't see any advantage in-game. The only advantage really is being able to remember the IP easily. Setting a static IP can be the solution to a few problems, but if you aren't encountering any issues then there's no difference.

I'm not sure about the gaming peer service - personally I haven't heard of people raving about it, and it's certainly not a necessity to go with IDNet just because they offer it. It would be great if you could let it know how it works out for you.

I wouldn't recommend looking into port-blocking. You could do it for 'security reasons', but usually there's no need. It'd be much more useful for gaming to look into UPnP and Port Forwarding since they're more likely to crop up with games.

What difference does a static IP have on online gaming, if any?

None, unless you are hosting your own gaming server - if you give out the IP address for other to connect to you, you will always have the same one or can setup a DNS record for it if you have your own domain name.

We have direct peering links to major gaming networks so the route to their network/servers is as short as possible

Different applications use port numbers to communicate on. If port blocking was implemented, it could be used to prevent specific applications from connecting to servers. This would not usually be used to stop someone online gaming however. We do not block any ports across our network