Comcast Xfinity

secretface

I thought I would start a topic on Comcast or Xfinity as alot of people have this and seem to have the same issues. Please if you are having issues first down load ping plotter and save your results and post here if you can. There are ways to get it fixed, not easily, but there are and if you are like me there are more than one problem on the lines. I had several problems which they were reluctant to fix. I also have to keep after them as some new issues arise. Hopefully we together can get everyone with comcast going strong.

i call them like 10 time and they dont want to come to my house and check the line and for my bad luck comcast is the only isp in my area

You are not far from me. About an hour although you are routed through totally different hops than me. I email Brian roberts @ comcast dot com . This woman Cynthia will get back to you and you should get a lot of phone calls of people trying to help. To be honest I think it has taken 2 years to get my line where it is and I still have some jitter.

https://gyazo.com/e596440f41c28796b29ecd2c30a35032

Great Topic SF!

I can't stress this enough.  As a former in-house employee, and then contracting money-whore doing the same job, who has built miles upon miles of Comcast/Charter/Time Warner/Mom&Pop plant:

The model for CATV is probably one of the least conducive to having reliable, jitter-free internet of the models available right now.  

You can achieve it with a healthy maintenance program and some employees who give a shit, but you should consider yourself extremely lucky if you live in such an area.

It's important when you call that you do NOT mention gaming.  Gaming bandwidth is in no way guaranteed or regulated.  There are no recognized industry standards for "Super Awesome Gaming".  Even if there were, unless they are advertising special packages, the average cable office will never implement them until they become a reportable/logged condition like phone (911) service.

If you are gearing up to call any of the service providers, you need to stress that you OCCASIONALLY work from home and your home office is being serviced by their lines.  This will (hopefully) alleviate them trying to up-sell you to their BUSINESS package, which is no fucking different.

If you have had any on site service call within the last year or two, you NEED TO STRESS this and let them know that you want an "Area Tech / Senior Tech / Field Supervisor".  These folks are much more knowledgeable and have been in the industry a lot longer than "Timmy" who just his tech certificate and his first tool bag.

Document your findings:  

• This is where Ping Plotter comes in.  Show them a whole dictionary size booklet of graphs and screen shots to let them know you are serious about it.  
  • You have to have something to show them and it needs to be substantial so they know this needs time to fix accordingly.
  • Do NOT be afraid to ask for the field service guys' card.  Also do NOT be afraid to reach out to that guy, even if it's just to update them on your recent findings.

I hate to say it, but a lot of times the best way to get some much needed attention on the plant that feeds your house is to become a pain in the ass.  It sucks, but the truth is they never balk about hitting you with that bill each month.  This is your RIGHT as a consumer.

Good luck!

JD

Great Topic SF!

I can't stress this enough.  As a former in-house employee, and then contracting money-whore doing the same job, who has built miles upon miles of Comcast/Charter/Time Warner/Mom&Pop plant:

The model for CATV is probably one of the least conducive to having reliable, jitter-free internet of the models available right now.  

You can achieve it with a healthy maintenance program and some employees who give a shit, but you should consider yourself extremely lucky if you live in such an area.

It's important when you call that you do NOT mention gaming.  Gaming bandwidth is in no way guaranteed or regulated.  There are no recognized industry standards for "Super Awesome Gaming".  Even if there were, unless they are advertising special packages, the average cable office will never implement them until they become a reportable/logged condition like phone (911) service.

If you are gearing up to call any of the service providers, you need to stress that you OCCASIONALLY work from home and your home office is being serviced by their lines.  This will (hopefully) alleviate them trying to up-sell you to their BUSINESS package, which is no fucking different.

If you have had any on site service call within the last year or two, you NEED TO STRESS this and let them know that you want an "Area Tech / Senior Tech / Field Supervisor".  These folks are much more knowledgeable and have been in the industry a lot longer than "Timmy" who just his tech certificate and his first tool bag.

Document your findings:  

• This is where Ping Plotter comes in.  Show them a whole dictionary size booklet of graphs and screen shots to let them know you are serious about it.  
  • You have to have something to show them and it needs to be substantial so they know this needs time to fix accordingly.
  • Do NOT be afraid to ask for the field service guys' card.  Also do NOT be afraid to reach out to that guy, even if it's just to update them on your recent findings.

I hate to say it, but a lot of times the best way to get some much needed attention on the plant that feeds your house is to become a pain in the ass.  It sucks, but the truth is they never balk about hitting you with that bill each month.  This is your RIGHT as a consumer.

Good luck!

JD

I tell them exactly what I am doing playing games online! I live on a little 3 road wide 6 block deep peninsula and at one point they had a whole bunch of trucks fixing lines all over the place. You will know you have become a pain in the ass when they start disconnecting your neighbors because there is too much noise coming from their lines. I think they believe most people will just go away and deal with what they got. I however will never give up so I just keep sending polite emails to the ceo. I email when everything is good. I also email when shit ain't right. Calling the 1800 number is about pointless. Send a nice email to Mr. Roberts , ask him how he is doing, ask about the weather and state your problem clearly. They will email you back and after you answer that email they will have every senior tech calling you. The biggest problem in my area is the damn squirrels. They chew the insulation on the wires. It will take about 4 to 5 visits before they will replace the drop and its always chewed. Anyway after going off a bit email [email protected] or it may be net.   

You are not far from me. About an hour although you are routed through totally different hops than me. I email Brian roberts @ comcast dot com . This woman Cynthia will get back to you and you should get a lot of phone calls of people trying to help. To be honest I think it has taken 2 years to get my line where it is and I still have some jitter.

https://gyazo.com/e596440f41c28796b29ecd2c30a35032

I have found that 2 things caused me to lag .

1. Modem go with an after market modem. I use T-P Link Archer CR700  runs great.

2. DNS settings .. Don't be afraid to change it. Use DNSBench mark

Secretface. your DNS is not bad but try this one

post-194-0-50286200-1474971401_thumb.png

The biggest problem in my area is the damn squirrels. They chew the insulation on the wires. It will take about 4 to 5 visits before they will replace the drop and its always chewed. Anyway after going off a bit email [email protected]

Ha ha - Animal chew marks (dog, cat, squirrel, "other") probably accounted for more than 50% of the basic service calls I ever went on while I was doing in home calls.  Went to one guy's house who was, literally, some sort of small animal doctor/researcher/think tank dude and he was explaining why they chew the wires beyond the "their teeth itch and they need to chew shit" explanation we were all told by our senior techs.

The wires have aluminum (and trace amounts of copper) on the inside, which is great for keeping teeth in check, but it also provides some sort of "flavor" for lack of a better term.  The chemical released in their little brains tells them that new "flavors" if it doesn't make them sick, need to be revisited as part of some base DNA "find more edible food" survival criteria.  The result is, once they start, they simply "CAN NOT" stop themselves because it becomes chemical, like a drug.

I believe all Comcast in house e-mails end in dot COM.  Customers get the dot NET addresses.

Ha ha - Animal chew marks (dog, cat, squirrel, "other") probably accounted for more than 50% of the basic service calls I ever went on while I was doing in home calls.  Went to one guy's house who was, literally, some sort of small animal doctor/researcher/think tank dude and he was explaining why they chew the wires beyond the "their teeth itch and they need to chew shit" explanation we were all told by our senior techs.

The wires have aluminum (and trace amounts of copper) on the inside, which is great for keeping teeth in check, but it also provides some sort of "flavor" for lack of a better term.  The chemical released in their little brains tells them that new "flavors" if it doesn't make them sick, need to be revisited as part of some base DNA "find more edible food" survival criteria.  The result is, once they start, they simply "CAN NOT" stop themselves because it becomes chemical, like a drug.

I believe all Comcast in house e-mails end in dot COM.  Customers get the dot NET address

Most of my big issues have been a chewed drop , it just takes many visits to have it fixed.

I have found that 2 things caused me to lag .

1. Modem go with an after market modem. I use T-P Link Archer CR700  runs great.

2. DNS settings .. Don't be afraid to change it. Use DNSBench mark

Secretface. your DNS is not bad but try this one

Just changed my settings. I have run benchmark and fiddled around with my dns but didn't notice a big difference.

To be honest I haven't really had any problems in a long while. I got my own modem as to not rent their stuff and save a few tho I have the same one they rented me its a cisco dpc3008.

Pain in the balls to get working with the duma and comcast, btw the tech had trouble getting theirs to work when they set that one up.

I would say maybe every 10th game I'll see some weird off the wall bad laggy crap.

I played in a full party the other night BO3 and didn't really see any issues and if I did we all saw them for a brief moment.

Archived