How to get a more reliable/stable/fast DSL connection

abc123

Do you have a DSL connection? Then this is for you:

DSL uses two twisted pair normally from your phone-line (3 * 2 pairs), to keep noise and interference down you put a filter on every phone jack...however these filters aren't perfect and sometimes fail.  this leads to packet loss and higher ping times, the solution?

Run a single CAT5e-CAT6 cable (this cable is much higher quality than phone line) from your external phone box, run this to your phone jack used by your DSL Modem, outside make sure to attach a twisted pair to the same punchdowns used by the DSL, removing the phone cable ones.

Now you will get a higher quality DSL connection, speed/packet loss/ping will all improve.  

Now you can remove all those dumb filters because you are running on a completely isolated line.

ok, my problem is my setup use only 1 phone jack and i need to use a splitter to connect my router and my phone but i think my splitter have filter built-in do i need to remove??

nope follow the same guide, remove the outlet cover and make it have 2 phone jacks, have one be CAT5e-CAT6 and the other be the normal phone

ok , i have to remove the pcb circuit and bild inside the splitter a normal cable to phone jack and a cat5 cable to adsl jackInside-an-ADSL-Splitter.jpg

You would not use that device at all, instead remove the outlet in the wall with a phone jack.  Replace it with an outlet cover with two phone jacks, 1 will be the ethernet cord the other your normal phone.

If you aren't using the phone you don't need to do this at all, just follow the above guide.

I don't have pictures this is a fix I did a long time ago and just remembered about and thought i'd share.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi abc123,

my phone jack for my VDSL2 connection looks different from the one on the photo...

In Germany it looks like this:

20160928_115638.jpg

20160928_115649.jpg

20160928_115655.jpg

20160928_115659.jpg

Is there any way known to optimize my connection further ?

Thank you in advance.  :)

Sincerely, Kay

Hi abc123,

my phone jack for my VDSL2 connection looks different from the one on the photo...

In Germany it looks like this:

Is there any way known to optimize my connection further ?

Thank you in advance.  :)

Sincerely, Kay

that is an ethernet cable, so nope.

Edit: looking again, maybe you'd need to pull the wall plate off and look at what is hooked up there...might be a phone line then yes...replace that phone line to the outside box with ethernet.  This isn't an easy fix

Do you have a DSL connection? Then this is for you:

DSL uses two twisted pair normally from your phone-line (3 * 2 pairs), to keep noise and interference down you put a filter on every phone jack...however these filters aren't perfect and sometimes fail.  this leads to packet loss and higher ping times, the solution?

Run a single CAT5e-CAT6 cable (this cable is much higher quality than phone line) from your external phone box, run this to your phone jack used by your DSL Modem, outside make sure to attach a twisted pair to the same punchdowns used by the DSL, removing the phone cable ones.

Now you will get a higher quality DSL connection, speed/packet loss/ping will all improve.  

Now you can remove all those dumb filters because you are running on a completely isolated line.

works even better with a single filter at the NID you are referring to as a external phone box.  filter all otehr lines in one location as well as let the signal go where it needs to without splitting into however many bridge taps then stopping at an inside filter.  All services above 15Mbps ADSL2+ should be installed with a dedicated jack and NID filtered on the POTS side. 

Technically any wire that is free from noise and or 'trouble' should be gtg.  Your typical american telco buried and aerial cable pairs have no cat rating and there are miles of them before it gets to you.  SNR readings and line attenuation at the NID and the CPE will be your go to info to know if it's telco line issues or yours.  

works even better with a single filter at the NID you are referring to as a external phone box.  filter all otehr lines in one location as well as let the signal go where it needs to without splitting into however many bridge taps then stopping at an inside filter.  All services above 15Mbps ADSL2+ should be installed with a dedicated jack and NID filtered on the POTS side. 

Technically any wire that is free from noise and or 'trouble' should be gtg.  Your typical american telco buried and aerial cable pairs have no cat rating and there are miles of them before it gets to you.  SNR readings and line attenuation at the NID and the CPE will be your go to info to know if it's telco line issues or yours.  

agreed with "should" but we had a 20Mb/s down and it was run on the phone line...they had filters on all jacks but it was still dropping packets...

Finally i ran a single CAT5e line and boom...0 packet loss, 5ms ping, and full download speeds....i just didn't think about it until now since i'm on cable

Yes if it still has filters it will do just that because the signal hits your demarcation/NID and instead of seeing just the modem to train to it sees all these bridge taps with wire going to several different jacks.  My point was that IF you run a homerun or dedicated wire, just about any 24AWG copper wire will do.  That being said, if you can run a wire point to point then choose cat5/e. If you cannot due to construction then any wiring that is "daisy chained" simply tone out a wire form the location needed and cut it straight thru to the NID. Most wiring will ahve at least a second unused pair but may be daisy chained and need to be cut loose from box to box config and spliced ahead.  Basically instead of running a new dedicated wire you can use existing wire to dedicate a pair in the existing wiring if available. 

Archived