netduma with my current modem/router

Just got my netduma the other day. Got it hooked up to my old modem/router. Set the duma in dmz in my old modem/router and turned off the wifi in the old modem/router. Did some fiddling with the netduma settings and played some bo3. Can say it has improved the experience greatly!

Are there any other settings I should change in my old modem router to optimize things and prevent conflicts. It is an actiontec gt784wn. It was not cutting it for gaming in a device heavy home even with the qos enabled. I plan on using this modem/router til it dies which could be anytime since its 4 years old.

Just got my netduma the other day. Got it hooked up to my old modem/router. Set the duma in dmz in my old modem/router and turned off the wifi in the old modem/router. Did some fiddling with the netduma settings and played some bo3. Can say it has improved the experience greatly!

Are there any other settings I should change in my old modem router to optimize things and prevent conflicts. It is an actiontec gt784wn. It was not cutting it for gaming in a device heavy home even with the qos enabled. I plan on using this modem/router til it dies which could be anytime since its 4 years old.

https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/highspeed/networking/setup/actiontec704wg/123754.htm

You could also ask verizon about using your ONT only which would run an ethernet line from that big ass box they install on your house directly to the netduma... I know back in the day you would lose DVR service by doing this though.

Edit: Nevermind all that... Google screwed me over with the model number. You have DSL correct?

https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/highspeed/networking/setup/actiontec704wg/123754.htm

You could also ask verizon about using your ONT only which would run an ethernet line from that big ass box they install on your house directly to the netduma... I know back in the day you would lose DVR service by doing this though.

So if I do this I'm guess i would have to enter my ppoe login info in the netduma? My model is actually different than the one described in this link but i'm sure the settings are similar. Anybody foresee any issues putting this thing in bridge mode? What order would I do things? Enter the ppoe info in the duma first then set the actiontec to bridge mode or vice versa? I'm no expert so I'd like to get this right. Thanks

So if I do this I'm guess i would have to enter my ppoe login info in the netduma? My model is actually different than the one described in this link but i'm sure the settings are similar. Anybody foresee any issues putting this thing in bridge mode? What order would I do things? Enter the ppoe info in the duma first then set the actiontec to bridge mode or vice versa? I'm no expert so I'd like to get this right. Thanks

Edit: Nevermind all that... Google screwed me over with the model number. You have DSL correct?

Configure Actiontec GT784WN DSL modem for RFC1483 Transparent Bridging mode

Sometimes you don’t want your Actiontec GT784WN DSL modem to be a router too. Maybe you’ve got a swanky new wireless router you’d rather use. No problem.

1. Click on Manual Setup
  2. Click on Advanced Setup
  3. Click on WAN IP settings
  4. Choose “RFC1483 Transparent Bridging”. All other options on this screen will be disabled.
  5. Click Next, then click Save and Restart to make all changes permanent.
  6. Remember to configure your PPPoE client

Configure Actiontec GT784WN DSL modem for RFC1483 Transparent Bridging mode

Sometimes you don’t want your Actiontec GT784WN DSL modem to be a router too. Maybe you’ve got a swanky new wireless router you’d rather use. No problem.

• Click on Manual Setup
  • Click on Advanced Setup
  • Click on WAN IP settings
  • Choose “RFC1483 Transparent Bridging”. All other options on this screen will be disabled.
  • Click Next, then click Save and Restart to make all changes permanent.
  • Remember to configure your PPPoE client

Thank you! Will give this a shot later when people are off the internet.

Thank you! Will give this a shot later when people are off the internet.

No problem... You probably won't notice much or any difference.. But it's better to not plug a router into a router cause it can lead to nat issues and such.

Just remember you'll have to sign into the netduma PPPoE settings under settings>wan with your info

Archived