Multicast Snooping

Guest Netduma_Iain

its only useful for people who have media centres. And you'll only need it if you have a problem mate :) Like local devices not being able to communicate with each other .

Sure bot if you could explain it a bit better how dose it work and stuff as i have keep it on all this time and i am wodering does it have the impact on internet speeds lag et if you cant say it thats fine to

Guest Netduma_Iain

To be honest I don't know the details of it. I added it because a customer needed it. I assume the router analyses multicast packets and determines if they should be forwarded. Kind of like spanning tree algorithm for bridges but instead for multicast packets. 

As you can see its quite technical mate. You can switch it off if you want, you'll know if you need it. Things will stop working 

Iain helped me with this actually as I was having a problem with a DLNA client not picking up a media server. 

When multicast snooping was on the media server would only be discovered if it was restarted but wouldn't be discovered by the client automatically.  So for me the fix was to disable multicast snooping and it was then added to the firmware in case others needed it too.

I actually ran some throughput test with it on and off and there was no difference at all in performance so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

To sum it up for the layman,  leaving it on will lessen the load on the router  (in theory) as it won't have to deal with unsolicited packets and you should switch it off if you have devices not being discovered on you LAN

Archived