Setting Up Properly

ps4gamer18

Hello

My NetDuma R1 will be arriving tomorrow and I am really excited about using one. I play PS4 games all the time after work especially multiplayer games such as Call Of Duty and FIFA. I am fed up with the lag and lag compensation that take away my hard work and makes me lose battles/matches that I should be winning. I am not expecting the router to solve all my problems but I am hoping that it will make a difference and will start helping me in these games by eliminating the lag and lag compensation.

I am currently using a Virgin Media SuperHub 2 (a steady 180 mbps - 220 mbps) internet speed with ping (between 17 ms and 30 ms) and jitter (between 1 ms - 6 ms). I still come into games where I am lagging like hell with these statistics.

The SuperHub 2 is currently connected (wired) to my PS4, Sky+HD box and PC. It is also connected (wireless) to my Macbook Pro and iPad. When I game however some devices are left on using the broadband such as Sky+HD for demand and recording purposes, or sometimes my fiancee uses the Macbook Pro, iPad or the PC whilst I game with my friends.

Now I know that I will receive tutorials etc but I would like some setup advice on how to set the NetDuma up to help maximise potential for this too. I am trying to get a more gaming experience without it affecting the speeds of my devices.

How would it be best to connect the 2 routers together?;

A. Would it be best to connect the SuperHub 2 via Modem Mode to the NetDuma R1 and let all the ethernet cables run from the NetDuma R1 to all my devices? 

B. Would it be best to ONLY connect the PS4 through the NetDuma and the others connected to the SuperHub 2?

Is there another setup I can do to maximise my chances of better connections to the PS4 without the possibility of it affecting everything else?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Mac.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum! 

Your ping has quite a bit of variation which will not be good for gaming at all. So would recommend using a program called PingPlotter to run tests of your line over different times/days. Collect the proof and take it to your ISP to see if they can improve it.

Our recommendation would always be setup A, however as I'm sure you're aware the duma doesn't have AC wifi so speeds will be slower on the wifi front. If that is a major issue then you could go for setup B. Keep in mind though that if you go for setup B you will not be able to make use of congestion control to eliminate any local lag.  

Any further questions let me know!

• 2 weeks later...

Virgin media are infamous for their ping jitter and laggy gameplays even though they have really good download speeds they throttle quite hard at peak times, do what Fraser said and ping plot, they do offer a very good business line however but it's extremely dare and not a possibility for most people.

Archived