Black Ops 3 Ping and Peer Ping

Hi,

I just received my Netduma yesterday. The first three games were great. I was killing people where before I would be dead. It has given me a chance. Even playing field it seems.

I do have some questions as I am trying to figure it out. I searched the forums but couldn't find anything specific.

What is the difference between the ping graph in Black Ops 3 and the NetDuma's Peer Ping and Server Ping? I ask because since the second week of Black Ops 3 I always get these ping spikes during death with certain players. I was hoping Duma would help, but they remain. My normal ping (using in game ping) is around 17-35ms. But when I encounter certain players it jumps up anywhere from 80ms-150ms to at times 400ms. These are the insta-deaths. Those moments when you are left just wondering what in the world happened.

With the Duma my ping seems very low. Usually in the teens. But Peer Ping I often see people at 100ms and above. Are these possibly the people who are causing these ping spikes when I encounter them in game? If so how do I block them? I usually block using xbox's block feature, but does the Duma have any tools to assist here?

Hopefully this makes sense and thanks for the help!

Will

Hi, welcome to the forum, and more importantly WELCOME to the #DumaArmy 

The Netduma is giving you more of a true value ping.  The in game ping is a joke and has been proven to be "rose colored" in regards to the populace using it for reference.

Auto Ping Host:  This is the ping, round trip, from you to the host and back.  This is effectively how much time it takes to send and receive information from the hosted game.  The Duma does this automatically if it is ticked and this is what you will see when players refer to "their in game ping".

Peer Ping: - This is the ping from you/your house to another player, in a round trip (going to and coming from).  If that player were the host, this would be the host ping.  However as most of Black Ops 3 is currently running on dedicated boxes, this is YOUR ping, through the dedicated server, to the other players.  When you see players with a 3 digit Peer Ping, these players will usually be 3 or 2-baring in the game.

Unfortunately the NetDuma can only assist in getting your 1's and 0's in and out of your house more efficiently.  It can't help optimize other players homes, or their connection to the dedicated servers.

Are you on Xbox or Playstation?  The reason I ask is we have a pretty extensive membership base here and while the Playstation dedicated servers seem to be average, the XBox Azure servers seem to be more stable.

YMMV,

JD

Thanks for the reply. I am on Xbox One. 

So, for those ping spikes (whether true or not) the only thing I can do is just to block them the traditional way through xbox? 

My biggest desire is to eliminate as much as possible those "what in the world?!?!" moments. I know I still have some tweaking to do and my Fios has been a mess since January. 

If I understand where the question is coming from, No, there isn't much you can do from the "other player with bad internet affecting my game play" standpoint.

First, as you are new owner, you have been opened to a whole new world of information.  Some will help you greatly, some will infuriate you to the point of madness.

Not everyone's internet is created the same, and most of the world has shit internet.  I say this is a guy who made his living installing high speed internet, cable TV, telephony and miles upon miles of fiber optics in my previous career.  The "backbone" of the internet is pretty solid (for the most part) but the individual connections from house to fiber are not well maintained and easily degraded.

There are some things you can do to further optimize your home settings, if you have not done them.  The use of Hyper Lane for your gaming console, and only your gaming console when you are playing, will help.  Using the sliders on the Congestion Control to limit the amount of spikes from devices inyour own home will help quite a bit for the "average" user.   More advanced users will be testing for Buffer bloat a few times to get a sense of "how much local congestion control they need" to insure a better gaming experience. 

And then once you reach the end of that Rabbit Hole, you will probably want to find out what quality of line you have with FiOS.  I am guessing it's pretty good, we have very little Ping Plot data on FiOS, which leads me to believe of the folks that have it, they don't have much in the way of issues.

You said that you have read a bunch of threads, what have you tried thus far?

My Fios has been rather poor at night - at least from a bandwidth perspective. I have 100/100 but at night it drops well below the 100 download speed. My upload is always around 100-120mbps, but since January of this year my download varies from 5mbps to 80mbps from the 7PM-midnight range. Verizon claims to not have congestion issues, but I don't see any other explanation since this isn't a problem during the day. I know when its a mess because any gaming becomes sluggish and streaming (Netflix) is terrible. 

I've had 6 techs out. Spent countless hours on both chat and phone support. I have the numbers of my local supervisors memorized, but all to no avail. Verizon seems incapable of fixing it. 

I'll check out the dslreports.com speed/bufferbloat tests when I get home today. 

Play with the Bufferbloat, adjust via Congestion Control to see a reduction and find a sweet spot for gaming.  See if that makes a difference first.

The next step will most likely be to download www.pingplotter.com and run two sets of tests.  One during the day, when you don't think there are problems, and then one in the evening when you suspect the problems are occurring.

It's important that when you run these tests, you run them long enough to establish a baseline, but this is problematic for most folks as you need to stop everyone from using the internet during the testing period to get the best results.

We typically look for packet loss, mine had giant red bars through the graph, and also jitter on the line.  Fiber optic services like FiOS or less susceptible, but they have their own problems as well, so it is always good to know what you are getting locally before you start to worry about everyone elses' connections.  :)

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Dillinger has given some great advice!

I would definitely recommend starting out with 70/70 anti-flood if you don't want to mess with bufferbloat & console in hyper traffic. You need to have all devices connected to the duma otherwise congestion control will not work correctly.

Great advice JD,just to add to what brother JD has said,when you run ping plotter make sure your network at home is quiet,just make sure that's the only thing running at that time and as JD said one test during the day and one test during peak hours in your area.

Archived