NAT Type Issues

I have two Xbox one consoles on the same network. I have always struggled with nat type issues on just about every router except my netgear. I thought since Netduma is a game router this wouldn't be an issue and I could stop my lag. I have tried the walk through, I have tried default settings. Nothing will make both of my Xbox's open nat type on the same network with Netduma. I didn't have this issue with my netgear router. Is there anything else I can possibly try?

Upnp on the R1 has not been able to work.  I am not sure of the all the technical aspects but its is unable to manage open nat's for multiple consoles.  Maybe that is something Netduma can look into in the future.  There are other routers that out of the box can get open nat's for multiple consoles.  If the R1 had the option to dmz you could possibly dmz one console and let the upnp handle the second one but I am not 100% sure if that would work either.    We need a more robust Upnp.  This is a common issue and I wish I had a better answer for you but at this time I do not. 

Oh I just had an idea.  Would it work if you had one xbox wired and another wireless?  This is a long shot. 

I am running one wired and one wireless still no go. I have also tried your ideal with the DMZ on one and let upnp handle the other but it just causes connection issues or more nat issues. I was considering hooking the R1 up behind a router and DMZ the R1. I'm just not sure if the network congestion will be able to deal with the traffic from the other router.

• Administrators

Are the consoles themselves open in network settings? Is it just on CoD that they're both not open? 

What's your current setup? Modem to R1? If router to R1 put R1 in DMZ.

Then port forward manually after turning off UPnP. For multiple consoles for CoD https://support.activision.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Ports-Used-for-Call-of-Duty-Games

• Administrators

Just noticed that both xbox's have an open nat type in the settings but the one I turn on second get a moderate nat type in CoD. What's the reason for this?

This explains it:

Netduma Fraser, on 09 Nov 2015 - 6:31 PM, said:

The reason you need NAT is because you only have 1 internet IP address but you have multiple devices on your LAN. So NAT does fancy tricks to make all those devices appear as 1 computer. NAT in nearly all scenarios is transparent, you can't tell it is happening which is great.

The only time NAT is visible is when the first packet for an application comes from the WAN side first instead of LAN which is far more typical. When that packet arrives it has no idea which device to send it to. So this is where port forwarding comes in, if the packet is destined for a particular port the port forwarding table tells it which individual device to forward the packet to.

Obviously you can't have 2 devices port forwarded because then you're back at the same problem, which device would get it?

The way to get multiple consoles to get open NAT is usually through UPnP. It simply automates the port forwarding process so the game can dictate to the router which ports to open. In the case of the multiple consoles the second console would open a higher number port.

So what you should do if you have multiple consoles is delete all port forwarding and let UPnP do the work. If you have UPnP and Geo-filter disabled and it's still not open. Unfortunately that is a game issue and we're not able to help you. I realise that is frustrating, I hope this explanation at least helps you understand the reason why. We're not trying to pass the buck.

If you're behind another router make sure it has no port forwarding rules and the R1 is put in its DMZ.

Hence why you should try port forwarding as per the link above. I believe they are both actually open but the game does not detect it correctly.

I have tried forwarding every port known to man that is related to Xbox and CoD. I've even went as far as hooking the Netduma up behind another router and DMZ it. Without Upnp both are moderate and with Upnp it acts the same way. I guess I'm just out of luck for now. Maybe they will update the R1 soon to fix this(I hope). This seems to be a big issue with the new CoD's. By the way, this is what it looks like under my Upnp tab with both xbox's on CoD.

http://imgur.com/0yP8knJ

• 2 weeks later...

i have tried everything, and the only way to get open nat on my 2 PS4s is to use my netgear and turn "nat filtering" to "open" in settings. Can you add this to the netduma? The "moderate" doesnt seem to only be cosmetic, as the whole gaming connection has been a lot better since i achieved "open" on both. Something like the netduma should both have this option, and have it applied automatically to console devices.

Archived