Netduma Settings and Questions

Hey guys, just got my Netduma yesterday, spent a couple hours tooling around in settings. Got some questions. I've seen conflicting recommendations for Black Ops 3 with PS4. Some say throttle your internet to drop your black ops 3 server bandwidth. Others say to increase all available resources to PS4 (how much internet is allocated to PS4 removing it from other devices). What should I be doing? Because I played a couple rounds each way and couldn't indicate a big difference either way. I did notice with low ping lobbies hit detection was spot on.

Other question is with ping assist at 20,strict on, filtering enabled and a radius of about 600 miles my trace still shows going out to Tenessee (I'm in New Jersey). How do I stop this server bouncing?

Thanks for the help!

Alpha

alpha,

If you have PA set to 20  with strict on, you'll be able to connect to servers outside your geofilter range as long as the ping is below your threshold.  Set ping assist to 0 if you want to stay only within your geofilter range.

I don't think it's necessary to use the CC slider to completely throttle your bandwidth. I usually have mine somewhere in the 50% range, share excess ticked, hyper traffic enabled, reset device prioritizattion, and I usually  don't mess too much with actually setting something on the device prioritization, unless I know there is streaming going on at my place.  I set it to 25 - 30% of my bandwidth, which with my ISP package and CC sliders factored in equals about 10-12 mbps Up and Down.  You can drive yourself crazy trying to do all these little things.  Best thing to do is use it a while and see what works best for your network and stick with it.  You'll have more fun playing the game instead of wondering how you could tweak your settings a bit.

Thank you for your help! So if I set PA to 0 I shouldn't bounce around anymore on the trace?

The device prioritization is the sliders where I can allocate each connected device correct? Like if I had 4 devices by default they'd all have 25?

Thanks again!

Alpha

Thank you for your help! So if I set PA to 0 I shouldn't bounce around anymore on the trace?

The device prioritization is the sliders where I can allocate each connected device correct? Like if I had 4 devices by default they'd all have 25?

Thanks again!

Alpha

The trace is unreliable and should not be used. Don't worry about it.

Yes that is the Device prioritization. I myself never adjust devices individually. If you have Share Excess ticked, then any devices will use whatever bandwidth is available ignoring device prioritization.  

Thanks again!

Alpha

If you set PA to 0 with Strict Mode on you should only get lobbies which are within your Geofilter range.  Device Prioritization is the thing you think it is.  I always reset device prioritization before every session.  If I decide I'm going to use it to prioritize my console, I reset it, then move the sliders for upload, click update distribution, and the I set download to my desired value and click update distribution again.  It's probably overkill, but it seems to work.

Excellent advice thus far, I can't add much that hasn't been said, but this may help with the Congestion Control settings.

70 is recommended, but what you are really doing is RESERVING some bandwidth (30% in this case:  100MAX - 70CC = 30% Reserve) to help deal with LOCAL congestion and help guard you against a random device clicking on, checking for an update and starting to download a file right on top of your gaming packets.  Or your family member decides to start streaming the entire series of GoT - This is going to affect the bandwidth.

If you have a LOT of traffic going (Sunday with everyone home and online) you may want to move that down into the 50% range.  

If no one is home, you may be able to get away with just a small amount of reserve, so try 90 or 85.

As for ALL the talk of throttling, limping into servers, connecting this way or that and retarding the connection.........

We've tried most of it.  We have INVENTED shit to try, to be honest.  There is not currently* a method that the forum is endorsing/preaching that has made any difference outside of the threads posted like this one, and the use of new features like Hyper Lane.

* I am sure there are a vast set of mad scientists out there that are neck deep in technical issues looking for that coded Silver Bullet, but so far the Netduma Forum has NOT produced any recognized "CoD Lag Killers" than that which are available to all.

That post was some really great info! Thank you! New question, lol. I am supposed to do a baseline speedtest in order to input my set bandwidth/anti flood initially, correct? And from there I then move slide to left to get best up/down with no red on bufferbloat? I do not reenter the anti flood with new number once I'm done, do I?

Yes, I believe you have it.  Give that a try and see what numbers you get and how it plays.

Keep in mind though, you will need to run this test before each gaming session, or perhaps a couple of times during the day if you plan to game for really long sessions.  The reason being is that the conditions of the paths your data travels will change with time of day and the number of other users on the system.

That one post can become all consuming, so play with it for a bit until you get tired.  You will eventually find a span of numbers that offer good speed and excellent buffer bloat.

And when that gets old, like it did for a lot of us, you can just resort back to 70/70 and hit the sticks.  :D

Good luck.

Archived