VPN assistance please

Hello all,

The forum was a great help in getting my login to work through netduma for my vpn.  Now that it is connected, I apply the vpn to my laptop, where i do most of my downloading.  Once I apply the vpn to the laptop, it loses it's connection to the internet.  The only way to get it back is to log into the netduma from my phone and uncheck the laptop in the vpn section.

Let me also add that once I check off the laptop and I do an IP check, I see that the vpn is working but a minute or two after applying the vpn, then it loses the connection.  That's where I am.

EDIT: Now when I click the laptop in VPN, it loses internet instantly.  I had since added an exception to open port 32400 for plex.  That's the only change I've made.

EDIT 2: OK!  the vpn seems to be working and laptop holding connection.  Now I am having port forwarding issues....

This laptop is also my plex server.  I need to open port 32400 to gain access to plex when outside of my home network.  I have added 32400 as an exception in the vpn for the laptop but it's not showing open at http://www.canyouseeme.org/

Any thoughts?

• Netduma Staff

I don't think you'll actually be able to port forward it through the VPN. So you'll have to add an exception which is what you're currently doing. Make sure you've set it for destination and source and that it's set to TCP/UDP. Do the port check trough your home IP, not the VPN one.

Set it up in port forwarding rules for that device as well. Keep us updated :)

What device are you referring to?

I am forwarding the port for the laptop which is also the plex server.

What I need to try is to forward port 32400 to the port of the Vpn location, if that makes sense.

EDIT:this did not seem to work

If anyone else has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

EDIT: Please help me understand (if you can)...  If I use my VPN providers application on my laptop instead of using the netduma, I have an option to turn port forwarding on.  I then have to select one of the locations that allow port forwarding.  When I use the netduma, I am indeed using one of the locations that allow port forwarding but how would I indicate to the netduma to allow port forwarding?  Is this really even necessary when using the netduma as the vpn rather than the vpn software?  Is the "turn on port forwarding" on the vpn software just a part of telling that software to allow port forwarding on the device it's installed on and has nothing to do with the netduma acting as the vpn?

My laptop IP is 192.168.1.13, the VPN  IP for the laptop is 173.199.65.41.  How, through the netduma would I forward a port on IP 173.199.65.41???

Archived