ISP – CenturyLink Fiber, 100mb download, 50mb upload

Router – C1100Z

Xbox One with wired connection

Xbox 360 with WiFi connection

Multiple mobile devices with WiFi connections

2 laptops with Wifi connections

Like everyone on this forum, I purchased a Netduma router.  Like many people on this forum, I am having difficulty making it work.  I have poured through the forum trying to make sense of all of the different advice and recommended settings.  I know very little about networking and am struggling to comprehend all of this stuff.  I think one of the reasons I am having trouble is because the steps on the quickstart guide didn’t work for me so I have not so systematically tried different things which were recommended on different threads and now I have two routers (the one from my ISP and the Netduma) which have been modified to the point of total dysfunction.  Through this thread, I would like to generate a list of the different procedures people take and the contexts in which they take them.

For the sake of clarity I will use these acronyms:

R1 = the router from the ISP

R2 = the netduma router

XB1 = Xbox One

XB360 = Xbox 360

PS3 = Playstation 3

PS4 = Playstation 4

MD = Mobile device

LT = Laptop

So I followed the steps on the quickstart guide and I was able to connect to the Netduma with my phone over Wifi.  However, the XB1 showed a strict NAT.  So based on something I read on the forum I selected bridge mode on R1.  After I did that, I lost all ability to connect to the internet and could no longer access R1’s control panel.  I ended up having to factory reset R1.  Once I got things operable again, I tried adding some port forwarding rules.  I did it on both routers.  I was able to get the NAT to moderate.  I also tried messing with the DMZ and the NAT stayed the same.  So here I am.  I want to play BO3 with an open NAT.

What I would like from someone is to walk me (and others) through the various methods of opening the NAT for the various consoles, routers and so on. 

For example, if the steps on the quickstart guide don’t work the try this:

Put R1 in bridge mode…(please assume I am really dumb and list every little step there is)  I am often confused as to whether I should add port forwarding on R1 or R2 or both.  If I need to enter an IP address, which one?  How do I find it?  And perhaps most importantly, if a particular method doesn’t work, should I undo everything I did before trying a different strategy or pile everything together. Also, what order should I try the different methods (i.e. bridge first, then DMZ then port forwarding, then upnp and etc...)

I apologize to all of you if this is a little or a lot incoherent and long.  I truly just want to get this thing going and hopefully give others some solid steps to follow when they get their Netduma in the mail. 

Thanks to all who contribute!!

I have moved this into Support so it has a better chance of one of the NetDuma peeps answering with more of what we call "facts" as opposed to speculation. ;)

We'll see if we can get you some answers.

JD

• Administrators

Sorry for the late reply. This guide should cover everything you need regarding getting an open NAT http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=how_do_i_open_my_nat 

Otherwise my first suggestion is DMZ on ISP hub. UPnP&Port forwarding disabled on ISP hub. Leave R1 UPnP on and you should have an open NAT when you check your consoles network settings. 

Archived