ip packet fragmentation

bagsta69

Hi yall, in another thread I posted about not been able to get invites from friends on ps4. They send them but I never get them. Chat works fine.

I have just run an internet connection test on PS4 and when it reaches the Nat type and lists it as Type 2 then goes on to run up and down speeds a massage scrolls along the bottom of the sreen saying

The router in use might not support IP packet fragmentation and some network features might be restricted. For details contact the router manufacturer.

I have tried turning on all the ipv6 stuff again to see if it makes a difference and I still get the same message.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Nope but after a bit of trial and error it seems to be an mtu issue. I had ps4 set at optimal 1492 wan on router at 1492 but you cnnot change lan in router as there is a bug of some sort that the guys are looking into.

I will guess that is the problem as after setting everything on router mtu and ps4 to auto mtu the problem and the message have gone away

• Netduma Staff

Hi yall, in another thread I posted about not been able to get invites from friends on ps4. They send them but I never get them. Chat works fine.

I have just run an internet connection test on PS4 and when it reaches the Nat type and lists it as Type 2 then goes on to run up and down speeds a massage scrolls along the bottom of the sreen saying

The router in use might not support IP packet fragmentation and some network features might be restricted. For details contact the router manufacturer.

I have tried turning on all the ipv6 stuff again to see if it makes a difference and I still get the same message.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Have you changed the MTU?

EDIT:

Just as I posted this you posted your post :D

I checked that programme you linked to and it said mtu should be set at 1492 which is the optimum setting for my interwebs.

Didn't think it would harm, never normally bother changing from auto

Hello, same problem happens to me. I was playing and take me out from game, do a conection test and saw this same issue.

Tried to change MTU value to manual, auto, rebooting all routers, and neither, always same issue of packet lost. (PS4)

• Netduma Staff

Hello, same problem happens to me. I was playing and take me out from game, do a conection test and saw this same issue.

Tried to change MTU value to manual, auto, rebooting all routers, and neither, always same issue of packet lost. (PS4)

Have you changed the MTU on the Netduma? Have you tried restarting the Netduma and the PS4? :)

Guest Netduma Fraser

Hello Crossy, nope, just only changed into the ISP router, I was trying to find the MTU option at the netduma router but I'm unable to find it.

Many thanks for your help

Its located in settings > WAN. You may need to upgrade to the latest version if you have not done so already as the option is not available on earlier versions of the firmware http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=manual_update:)

• Netduma Staff

Hello Crossy, nope, just only changed into the ISP router, I was trying to find the MTU option at the netduma router but I'm unable to find it.

Many thanks for your help

In the ISP router, try changing it back to normal then see if you carry on getting the error :) Try restarting your PS4 also. Did you change anything before the error occurred? :)

In the ISP router, try changing it back to normal then see if you carry on getting the error :) Try restarting your PS4 also. Did you change anything before the error occurred? :)

I don't understand what you would mean by "try changing it back to normal", not change anything just noticed this yesterday when tested the PSN network test after a kick off from game.

Its located in settings > WAN. You may need to upgrade to the latest version if you have not done so already as the option is not available on earlier versions of the firmware http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=manual_update :)

Thanks I found it now in latest firm. unfortunately still give me this issue, it pops just after checking NAT2 at the test 

• Netduma Staff

I don't understand what you would mean by "try changing it back to normal", not change anything just noticed this yesterday when tested the PSN network test after a kick off from game.

Sorry, I misunderstood your earlier post :) When you said "nope, just only changed into the ISP router" I thought you means you had changed the MTU settings - I assume you meant you were now connected to the ISP router :) Does the error appear when connected to the ISP router? Is the MTU value set to automatic? :) Unless you hare doing it for a reason, there probably isn't any need to change the MTU settings on the Netduma - its probably best on automatic.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Sorry I don't understand Marc, are you saying you have a packet loss issue when doing the playstation test? 

Archived