What am I doing wrong? High ping/geofilter searches

6starsales

Hey Everyone,

I received my NetDuma last week and was very excited to hook it up and start playing with improved connectivity.  I am loving many of the built-in features but I seem to be struggling with the Geo-filter options.

-I am located in Ottawa, Ontario - Canada

-When I create a search area of any reasonable size, I am definitely getting hosts within my region (+-600km)  (COD AW on Xbox One)

-I have not seen a single ping lower than 45ms and averaging around 60-80ms which is disconcerting.

-When I do the trace feature, it seems like it always bounces the initial connection to the Central US before coming back to me and then to the Host.

-I have not seen a significant change in playability and would love to use the NetDuma to its full potential.

My bandwidth cap is set around 70% up/down

My wired connection is averaged around 165 down / 15.5 up Cable and my ping is 15-20ms from my ISP.

Can I do anything about this?  Am I not understanding the data correctly?  What am I doing wrong?

Please help!  I'm really loving the rest what this thing can do.

Thanks,

Mark

Guest Netduma Fraser

Hey Everyone,

I received my NetDuma last week and was very excited to hook it up and start playing with improved connectivity.  I am loving many of the built-in features but I seem to be struggling with the Geo-filter options.

-When I create a search area of any reasonable size, I am definitely getting hosts within my region (+-600km)  (COD AW on Xbox One)

-I have not seen a single ping lower than 45ms and averaging around 60-80ms which is disconcerting.

-When I do the trace feature, it seems like it always bounces the initial connection to the Central US before coming back to me and then to the Host.

-I have not seen a significant change in playability and would love to use the NetDuma to its full potential.

My wired connection is averaged around 165 down / 15.5 up Cable and my ping is 15-20ms from my ISP.

Can I do anything about this?  Am I not understanding the data correctly?  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Mark

Hey Mark, thanks so much for purchasing! Before we address the points you have made, I would suggest you upgrade to the latest version here - http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=manual_updatewe actually have quite a few new things in the latest upgrade so this will help you further. After you have upgraded you'll be able to use the ping assist feature we added to the Geo-filter. You can read about that here http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=gf_ping_assist 

Upgrade, look at the ping assist wiki and give it a try. Let us know what happens :)

Also, don't worry about the trace at all, focus on the ping. 

Hi Fraser,

I upgraded immediately when I unboxed it.  I will look at the wifi guide more closely and report back if I find no success.

Thanks for the quick response.  It shows when business owners are directly involved with their companies.  Nothing remains stagnant lol.

Looking forward to years of great gameplay once I figure this thing out lol

Hey Everyone,

Thanks,

Mark

hi there,

Thanks for purchasing :)

ok first off your ping test where you get 15-20ms is to i'm assuming google or a ping test server ?

pinging a host or game server will always be different due to the distances and routing and last mile networks of the hosts,.

getting into a sub 50ms game is great , given where you are that is a really good result. Even averaging 60-80ms isn't that bad with your settings as they are currently ( slightly guessing here)  but we can def improve that.

First off if i was you i'd move your home location , as you can actually get better results if you're a little clever where your geofilter covers, as you can greatly increase the player population and dedis you will find this way.

Unless my geography skills have failed me this should be a great setting for you as it covers you, and major population areas.

1425928590-U143.jpg.

If you want slide the ping assist down to 50ms so it will also then pick up any servers outside your geo filter range that you ping 50ms or less too and increase the range slightly to get chicago and pittsburgh areas too

Hope this helps

The geofilter isnt an exact science when you first use it and it takes a slight bit of trial and error to find that sweet spot where you always find low ping games 

6starsales...try sliding your home location a little west of where Adam suggested to cover the corner of Indiana.Michigan and Illinois.There is a nice block of dedi's right on the border of those states right on the Indiana-Illinois border.You should be able to pick up the block Adam was talking about also.Just giving you more options,pick and choose the ones you like and move stuff around the one's you don't.

Archived