remote help

Clinton92

Im wondering if any one can help me. i not to sure if i have everything setup correctly. i keep getting ping rises in cmd while i max out my connection. while i use the sliders to adjust it so i can get the least amount of fluctuation. but it seems to rise no matter what i do i ping -t 8.8.8.8 while running speedtest.net cc set to 70 up and down. and it rises to say 120ms to 40 ms so on and then drops back to normal?

cheers  

Hi :)

Maybe you could try lowering the sliders even more? Also, what is your upload and download bandwidth?

Hi Crossy 

My download is 8 and upload is 0.8 ive tried all different percentages but still no luck. i dont know what else to do 

Im wondering if any one can help me. i not to sure if i have everything setup correctly. i keep getting ping rises in cmd while i max out my connection. while i use the sliders to adjust it so i can get the least amount of fluctuation. but it seems to rise no matter what i do i ping -t 8.8.8.8 while running speedtest.net cc set to 70 up and down. and it rises to say 120ms to 40 ms so on and then drops back to normal?

cheers  

hi could you run an internet diagnostics from the router and post the results please 

hey Adam 

I had Crossy have a look a my connection and he said he would update my thread. he said im loosing packets but ill let him explain as im no ntworking person.

but here is my test from the duma.

ng Jitter Spikes Packet Loss Good Exceptional Exceptional No Loss
Show Details
Ping
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=0 ttl=58 time=21.540 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=1 ttl=58 time=20.868 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=2 ttl=58 time=20.655 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=3 ttl=58 time=20.415 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=4 ttl=58 time=20.186 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=5 ttl=58 time=19.915 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=6 ttl=58 time=19.637 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=7 ttl=58 time=20.630 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=8 ttl=58 time=20.427 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=9 ttl=58 time=20.188 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=10 ttl=58 time=19.881 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=11 ttl=58 time=19.704 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=12 ttl=58 time=19.453 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=13 ttl=58 time=20.469 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=14 ttl=58 time=20.249 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=15 ttl=58 time=20.032 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=16 ttl=58 time=19.778 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=17 ttl=58 time=19.531 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=18 ttl=58 time=19.316 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=19 ttl=58 time=20.348 ms

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
20 packets transmitted, 20 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 19.316/20.161/21.540 ms

• Netduma Staff

I spoke to Clinton in chat and went over his connection and ran some tests. speediest.net shows 16ms ping, ping to 8.8.8.8 shows a 20ms ping. Trace route to google showed very few hops. This is because the line is on a fast path so there is no interleaving.

Ping didn't seam to rise while the upload test was running (this is while download congestion control was set at 70%) and there was no packet loss when running the download test.

On the other hand, the upload test caused packet loss and slight ping rises. Packet loss was about 40% (not exact). Ping rise was about 10ms, although it occasionally spiked with an additional 30ms (taking the ping to about 50ms). This didn't seam to change depending on what the upload cap was set to.

So with it being on a fast path, I thought that there were errors and no interleaving to correct them. Unless my understanding is incorrect, errors only occur when the connection is maxed out. Even with the congestion control at 50%, the packet loss still occurred, but that connection can't have maxed out. If that is correct, then it might not be the fast path that is causing this as it the upload never hit max. :)

I posted this data here because I'm sure for those of you who know about networking, it should be useful for determining the cause. :)

I think the question OP wanted the answer to, was should he switch back to interleaving, or can he keep his low pings and get a fix for the packet loss while on the past path? 

Fastpath can cause bad packet loss esp if you arent really close to the exchange of have a less than stella connection to start , personally I would always choose interleaving as line quality and less dropped packets is alsways better fro gaming than the slight decrease in ping you get from fast path 9 which only affects the ping on the last mile network so you're never talking a huge saving there)

Just a quick update on my progress

I gave my isp a call today but they say its normal ?, but im no expert but it doesn't sound right when packets are lost. Also they switched me back to standard. Also done some more testing on cmd with 8.8.8.8. while doing a speed test i still get packet loss. also with the cc set to 100% get about 1% to no packet loss ts a soon as i start to adjust the sliders i get the 6 % packet loss. but also in saying that with the cc set to 100% i get huge ping spikes in cmd while doing speed test.

If there are any network gurus in here. Please feel free to chime in  :)

Have you ticked share excess , reset distribution and update distribution and re tested?

If this does not help, it is only happening on the upstream , it would be very rare somebody would be on your network maxing the up stream anyway, in reality.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Clinton,

I've tried to catch up on the entire thread. From what I understand this is the scenario:

• When you do a download test with cc on you get minimal increase in ping and no packet loss. So that means it workings on the download direction
  • When you do an upload test with cc on you get a little incresae in ping but higher packet loss?

That is slightly odd, but just for your information that is how QoS works it drops packets to limit them. In fact thats what differentiates our premptive alogirhtm(novel to us) from others is we don't drop packets. I think the high packet loss is probably due to the huge difference in speeds, you're going from 1000mbits LAN to 0.8 mbits. So it can end up with huge queues and large amount of drops.

I recommend resseting distrubition and doing the test again.

Hi Clinton,

I've tried to catch up on the entire thread. From what I understand this is the scenario:

• When you do a download test with cc on you get minimal increase in ping and no packet loss. So that means it workings on the download direction
  • When you do an upload test with cc on you get a little incresae in ping but higher packet loss?
That is slightly odd, but just for your information that is how QoS works it drops packets to limit them. In fact thats what differentiates our premptive alogirhtm(novel to us) from others is we don't drop packets. I think the high packet loss is probably due to the huge difference in speeds, you're going from 1000mbits LAN to 0.8 mbits. So it can end up with huge queues and large amount of drops.

I recommend resseting distrubition and doing the test again.

Hey Lain

Ive done all that. If you can do you mind having a look at it for me. Your my last hope on trying to fix it.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Clinton,

I don't mind running an experiment for you. But what I'm saying is I think its working you're just reading too much into the metrics. That is generally how the Internet works. The only thing thats a bit odd is having high packet loss when throttling on the upload.  I see your in Australia its going to be hard to schedule a time togther.

Are you ever available between 7:00 and 9:00 AM in Australia?

Hi Clinton,

I don't mind running an experiment for you. But what I'm saying is I think its working you're just reading too much into the metrics. That is generally how the Internet works. The only thing thats a bit odd is having high packet loss when throttling on the upload.  I see your in Australia its going to be hard to schedule a time togther.

Are you ever available between 7:00 and 9:00 AM in Australia?

Hey lain

im available right now ? Its 10pm here so in the mornings im at work

Cheers

Guest Netduma_Iain

Sorry for delayed response. I can't make it today or tomorrow I'm afriad as I have meetings. However I can make it evening time on Thursday if you like.

Sorry for delayed response. I can't make it today or tomorrow I'm afriad as I have meetings. However I can make it evening time on Thursday if you like.

No problem lain

fully understand anytime after 6pm aus time im free.

Chers

Guest Netduma_Iain

Sure I'm available very briefly can you jump in chat please. Its in the top right of the forum :)

Archived