VPN Issues

I just downloaded and installed the 1.03.6g update.  No discernable issues right away.  However, I tried to add exceptions to a host on my VPN (PIA), and they didn't appear to be having any effect -> all traffic was still going through the VPN.  If I unchecked the computer completely from using the VPN, then it would be routed through my ISP again.  So, the VPN-Hybrid stuff seemed to be broken.  

I then tried to change which port I connected to PIA to (from 443 to 1194) in the advanced connection settings just to see if it made any difference.  The router completely froze up, and had to be manually restarted again.  Now when I try to change the port back, I get an error in the interface "Failed to communicate with router".  And of course, the VPN has stopped working altogether, for all devices.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Yeah I figured out the factory reset.  That's done, and the VPN is back up.

I use DDNS with Synology.  When I check the Synology's host, the dynamic IP it pulls is for the VPN.  When I uncheck, it pulls the ISP IP address.  I tried adding port 443 (source and destination) as an exception, and that has no effect. (I use freedns.afraid.org for DDNS, and it uses an https address for updating the IP).  Even if I add freedns.afraid.org as a host under the exceptions, that has no effect.  It seems that either a host goes through the VPN or it doesn't.

EDIT:  I also just tried it from a laptop.  I just added my laptop to the VPN via the checkbox, then tried adding exceptions for port 80 and port 443.  When I type "whats my ip" in google, I get the VPN IP address.  Am I not doing this correctly?

So, I was trying different combinations of using source port vs destination port and appear to have completely hosed the VPN section of my R1. All I get is a progress bar there now, even after 2 factory resets. Help!!

Edit: The rest of the interface works normally. This issue only applies to the VPN page. I have the same result from multiple PCs on my LAN, using both wired and wireless connections. Chrome is my browser du jour.

I seemed to have resolved my own issue.  I would just like a bit of explanation on how it works.  

I resolved the issue by setting my exceptions to use the destination only.  Before, I was using source and destination, and it didn't work.  If I type "https://google.com/"in my browser, thats going to leave my PC (the source) as port 443, and go out to google (the destination) as port 443.  I don't understand why destination only worked, but source & destination doesnt.

Archived