picking an ISP

Okay guys so I just moved from South Florida to North Georgia. My only options here are uverse or Spectrum Internet. I'm at the inlaws now playing on Comcast getting some crazy good games over Wi-Fi even without the netduma, unfortunately it's not one of my options. lol. Which one do I go with? I only have about 6 devices to hook up and I don't much care about TV my only concern is Internet. I don't have any wiring in the house yet so everything will be fresh. 18 down from AT&T 60 down from charter but which one has better stability? Is there anyway I can find this out before deciding on one or the other? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I don't think I am too far from you because I'm in north ga too. But I think basically what you are asking is which is better for gaming. Cable or DSL. This is a good question. I can only give you my experience with cable. In as few words as I can use the one con that I can give for cable is the bandwidth is awesome but there can be issues with jitter.

I am not sure if you have heard but uverse has a new fiber gigabit plan I believe. If I could go with one I would pick that.

I have actually had this question myself and am curious to see what others have to say.

I have Charter and this is just my opinion and experience with them,others milage may very.

Like Buck said bandwidth is good but if you have a ton of noise on your line (jitter) all that bandwidth is worthless.And my line with Charter has a shitload of jitter,so much that I am getting a dedicated gaming line from AT&T tomorrow.The gigabit isn't available in my area until this fall but I wanna check them out and see how customer service and internet quality is before going gigabit in the fall.I will be getting Uverse internet 14/2 but the only thing connected to it will be PS4 and my laptop I use with the duma.So should be plenty especially if it's got low jitter,which it should as it's coming thru the phone line.It's not coming in with my TV and with all the ping plotter and ping test I've been running I have severe node overload as they over saturated the market in my area,which Charter has a habit of doing.

If it were me I would go with AT&T but I say that because of my experience (all bad) with Charter.But as you know you can have a shitty connection with any ISP.I can let you know my results of ping plotter after I get it but again it could be great for me and you could have a bad experience with it and vice versa with Charter.

Yeah unfortunately there's no gigapower by me either. I reckon I'll be going with AT&T, mainly for the stability. I'm sure 18 down will be plenty. I had six down with AT&T in Florida and the jitter was actually pretty good. Here at the inlaws they have Comcast and holy cow its all over the place. charter is uncharted ground for me. Lol, pun intended. Also I was reading through the forums and came across something about having a sales rep come out with a demo kit. If I can get somebody out here is there any suggested test I should run? For sure keep me posted on your results. Thank you thank you.

I have Charter and this is just my opinion and experience with them,others milage may very.

Like Buck said bandwidth is good but if you have a ton of noise on your line (jitter) all that bandwidth is worthless.And my line with Charter has a shitload of jitter,so much that I am getting a dedicated gaming line from AT&T tomorrow.The gigabit isn't available in my area until this fall but I wanna check them out and see how customer service and internet quality is before going gigabit in the fall.I will be getting Uverse internet 14/2 but the only thing connected to it will be PS4 and my laptop I use with the duma.So should be plenty especially if it's got low jitter,which it should as it's coming thru the phone line.It's not coming in with my TV and with all the ping plotter and ping test I've been running I have severe node overload as they over saturated the market in my area,which Charter has a habit of doing.

If it were me I would go with AT&T but I say that because of my experience (all bad) with Charter.But as you know you can have a shitty connection with any ISP.I can let you know my results of ping plotter after I get it but again it could be great for me and you could have a bad experience with it and vice versa with Charter.

Your experience with AT&T interests me too. Would like to see the results when you test their service out.

Yeah unfortunately there's no gigapower by me either. I reckon I'll be going with AT&T, mainly for the stability. I'm sure 18 down will be plenty. I had six down with AT&T in Florida and the jitter was actually pretty good. Here at the inlaws they have Comcast and holy cow its all over the place. charter is uncharted ground for me. Lol, pun intended. Also I was reading through the forums and came across something about having a sales rep come out with a demo kit. If I can get somebody out here is there any suggested test I should run? For sure keep me posted on your results. Thank you thank you.

Well unfortunately that post was my boy JD and me talking about options.As JD working in that industry for quite awhile and he knows his shit.I called and checked on the "demo kit" and they no longer do that for liability reason.But you can get the their service (AT&T) for 30 days with out any obligation,if you don't like it just cancel it.

And as far as what test to... run ping plotter at peak times in your area,so like 5-10 pm.Run your current ISP then run the new one,I can say with out a doubt that AT&T is way more stable than Charter as this are is saturated with cable (all charter) and the tech said he doesn't have another internet customer with in like 5 miles of me.But has a brad hub about 2/3 mile away so that means the can do something called a bonded pair,which in short means I can more than double my speeds so from 13-14 DL / 1.5 UL to 40 plus DL and about 4 UL.

This is my ping plotter running with AT&T at peak times and yes the ping is slightly higher than Charter but for me it's stable as hell.It's my own dedicated gaming line.Slower speeds but no jitter.With Charter that graph was all over the place,base ping of about 25 wish and spikes all the way to 70 plus.

Your experience with AT&T interests me too. Would like to see the results when you test their service out.

Nothing but good things to say so far,only pain in thesis is putting the duma in passthrough as AT&T has proprietary equipment,which means you gotta use theirs and it's an all in one modem/router,which I hate.And they don't have a DMZ,so you have to us IP passthrough which is fine just different for me.And I like using my own equipment,like most.

And the good thing is depending on your location to the central office or vrad hub you can get speeds up to 80-100 plus DL /8-10 UL on Uverse (DSL)I Iike it as it's my line,not shared like Charter,where my TV and internet come in on the same wire,along with everyone else in the neighborhood.

See the above graph for the ping plotter at peak times,for me huge improvement on stability with slightly higher ping but I'll take stability over speed any day.

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing but good things to say so far,only pain in thesis is putting the duma in passthrough as AT&T has proprietary equipment,which means you gotta use theirs and it's an all in one modem/router,which I hate.And they don't have a DMZ,so you have to us IP passthrough which is fine just different for me.And I like using my own equipment,like most.

And the good thing is depending on your location to the central office or vrad hub you can get speeds up to 80-100 plus DL /8-10 UL on Uverse (DSL)I Iike it as it's my line,not shared like Charter,where my TV and internet come in on the same wire,along with everyone else in the neighborhood.

See the above graph for the ping plotter at peak times,for me huge improvement on stability with slightly higher ping but I'll take stability over speed any day.

So I am getting AT&T next Tuesday. Tired of Cox and their unwillingness to help. So what do you think of AT&T as of today?

Can not wait.

So I am getting AT&T next Tuesday. Tired of Cox and their unwillingness to help. So what do you think of AT&T as of today?

Can not wait.

Sent you a PM bro... :D

Archived