Integrating R7000 router with NETDUMA R1

kyroadie

Hey guys/gals.  I just purchased a R1 and will be getting it tomorrow if DHL is correct.  In all the excitement, I forgot one important detail.  My current Netgear R7000 has a NAS and a printer connected to its USB ports.  I really don't want to lose that functionality.  My thought is to run setup as follows:

ISP modem <-- R1 with XB1 wired <-- R7000 with all other home wireless/wired traffic

Has anybody had success with this? Am I missing any "gotchas" that I haven't thought of so far? Can I just use R1 to filter/prioritize all traffic from R7000 as one "stream" if you will.  That would actually be advantagous. The devices could bounce around the R7000 all they wanted. Only when they wanted internet, would they be subjected to prioritization.  Thank you in advance for any thoughts or comments you'd like to share.

Perfect.  I will go with that plan and update here how it goes.  I think I'll try to setup filtering by MAC of XB1 and router perhaps.  That should make it easier on R1 to filter traffic I would think.  Thank you for quick response.  Looking forward to getting it tomorrow and trying it out. 

I run a very similar setup with a Netgear R8500 and it works great for me.

Here's mine:

Modem -> R1 (wifi disabled and xb1 and 360 plugged right in) -> R8500 in Access Point mode (only used for wifi).

I have a 24 port switch connected to the R1 for all my other household devices and computers.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright guys, I finally had some time today to work on this.  Had something interesting happen that I assume is because I didn't put R7000 into AP mode.

Setup as follows:

Modem -- R1 (wifi disabled and XB1 wired) -- R7000

Speedtest before= 17.8 of supposed 20//After R1= 9.8

Trying to figure out why that would have happened.  I had the R1 non-DHCP with static for XB1 and R7000.  Then allowed R7000 to handle DHCP for all other devices.  I was able to get 17.8 for a short time in this config, then it was gone.  So what do you guys think? Problems b/c not in AP? Will I have any issues using as AP with a NAS and Printer shared on R7000 I wonder. 

Thanks for the assist blackJaxs and Fraser

You should be just fine with the R7000 in AP mode with the printer and NAS as those settings aren't changed. The AP mode turns off the R7000's NAT, local DNS, and DHCP which then forces it to use the upstream R1 for DHCP, NAT, and DNS. This also technically gives you an extra port on LAN as there are now five LAN ports on the R7000.

Hey guys,

Thanks again for all the assistance and sorry for not getting back sooner.  RL has been a bit crazy lately with sick kids and project due dates.  I was able to get my speeds back up following Fraser's post.  I tweaked a couple settings wrong in initial setup.

With my final config, I went with this for now:

Modem---> R1(no DHCP)---> X1 (static IP)

---> R7000 (static IP, handing out DHCP) thinking was to test running a virtual subnet.  Speeds for printing and music/vid sharing should stay high and all contained within R7000.  No effect at all on R1 and X1.  I will then be able to monitor effect of streaming, etc more closely as it will be coming through R7000 only. 

What do you guys think? Want me to post update after a few weeks of actually using? My purpose for trying Netduma was b/c of Destiny gaming. I am looking forward to seeing what's actually going on after Bungie's promises of trying to fix their terrible PvP. 

Destiny PVP was a big reason I wanted the netduma as well! It made a huge difference for me pre-changes to crucible matchmaking. Though I haven't tried since the updates.

One thing to bear in mind with Destiny pvp, use playing solo as your benchmark as playing with a fireteam can get you bad connections through teammates. At the very least make sure you are fireteam lead.

@blackJaxs thanks for the reply.  I'm not sure that I have seen a huge difference yet.  Right now, it's interesting to see where everybody is, especially the red bar that you always seem to get.  Unfortunately, the changes Bungie supposedly made are probably effecting that.  I feel like I've gotten a better understanding of how to use/setup the Duma, but maybe I'm still missing something that will make it truly impressive?  I run with it set to 1500km, and I watch Bungie matchmaking pass other supposed hosts to snatch guys from further way, so I find that interesting.  By current setting, I go into FL and up into Canada.  What would you say is the lowest I could set it to see some better results? Should I go to 1000km and really restrict it? Theoretically, I am basically just limiting were I connect to, so even though I could set it to 10km and only connect to a host in my town I can't control who else connects.  So that is something I didn't really think about until I bought this.  Even with the tools I now have, I'm still stuck with Bungie's BS. So that guy in Mexico is still going to negatively effect my game whether I use Duma or not.  Thanks Bungie.

• Administrators

Hey kyroadie, we usually recommend around 1000km radius, make sure strict is off with PA 0. Make sure you're on the latest firmware, you can use the Destiny profile along with your console in hyper traffic.

Archived