Translation thread

Guest Netduma_Iain

Thanks Jantso,

I've added to the 1.02.3 upgrade feature thread. It maybe a bit optimistic to get it done by then. But I'll try get the base system working by then. So we can start translations. Also anyone who does a translation will get their name on the credits page with Jantso at the top of the list because he was first :P.

Using google translate API? there is a chrome plugin that does this for webpages...but you can also just use google api to translate to all languages super quick...

After that, native speakers of each of those languages come along and will correct the horrible auto convert issues.

That is indeed a good idea' date=' we can get started on that once I start to separate out the text.

[/quote']

I do not recommend this action at all. I have translated all kinda websites and software and we had to do it from the main lanuage alone. We did not get any bad google translate one to do translations. So i recomend just doing it by hand and checking it via like team leader or something like that

Guest Netduma_Iain

I can't speak for abc but I'm not bilingual so I'm sure you know best. Lets just do translation from English to direct other lang.

Google Translate is horrible, i don't disagree at all.

Here's where i've used it:

Do mass language initial conversion, then ask for the manual translation by people who actually speak those languages. They normally can read english well enough when combined with the google translated [example german] to say, hey this isn't exactly right...but this would be. You then validate what they said using a team lead or multiple online translation support.

But i don't disagree that you don't get perfect translatons

Google Translate is horrible' date=' i don't disagree at all.

Do mass language initial conversion, then ask for the manual translation by people who actually speak those languages. They normally can read english well enough when combined with the google translated [example german'] to say, hey this isn't exactly right...but this would be.  You then validate what they said using a team lead or multiple online translation support.

As someone who has to translate stuff often from what google spews up, its actually a lot faster just to give someone english and say translate this , than give them a google translation and say fix this.

The other issue is English it itself, its one of the hardest languages to translate, due to fact word order and tenses change and we tend to use the same word for different meanings.

Given the importance of the UI, I'd feel a lot more comfortable with old skool translation

Google Translate is horrible' date=' i don't disagree at all.

Do mass language initial conversion, then ask for the manual translation by people who actually speak those languages. They normally can read english well enough when combined with the google translated [example german'] to say, hey this isn't exactly right...but this would be.  You then validate what they said using a team lead or multiple online translation support.

As someone who has to translate stuff often from what google spews up, its actually a lot faster just to give someone english and say translate this , than give them a google translation and say fix this.

The other issue is English it itself, its one of the hardest languages to translate, due to fact word order and tenses change and we tend to use the same word for different meanings.

Given the importance of the UI, I'd feel a lot more comfortable with old skool translation

I don't disagree then, i recommend fiverr.com

Hi and good morning!

I have been talking with Netduma for helping with Spanish translation so I am very interested on helping you with this transalation.

My point of view:

Get all the text/info/manual/Eula in English and then sending to people at least able to read/write 2 languages. I guess English - Native ( spanish,german,italian,french...) , I have used before SDL trados to translate text or manuals but it is "expensive" software and we do not want people downloading it or not paying so best option is having localized groups of natives languages.

Best regards!

• 1 month later...
Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Guys,

Right I'm nearly done on the critical stuff. I would like to resurrect this thread. Anyone who speaks multiple languages that would like to help out please post here. Not just translating the router but maybe helping other customers that speak your language.

Thanks so much

Iain

Iain,

If you head back over to XIM boards, at the bottom of the board there areas for multy language. Mostly volunteers. I know there is also a Japanese board there which is where the japanese destributor hangs out for that product. Might be a connection you guys should make for language and distribution. I would use the PM so Obsiv toes dont get stepped on. I would volunteer my wife for japanese but she wouldnt understand the technical stuff,

i wouldnt do a multilang-interface for the R1, mainly for support-related issues

an indepth multilang. manual that comes with the R1 should be sufficient, but solving an issue with someone that only knows his chinese interface can become quite a pain

Guest Netduma_Iain

Thanks guys, that is such a good idea. I think you're right a manual and a separate board for languages is a great idea!

Didn't even occur to me about doing support in another language, very good point! We are working on a more through manual once thats done if people would like to help out that would be awesome!

daredare I'm not even joking your English is far superior!

Archived