Problem with Geo-filter in Destiny

I'm having an issue in Destiny where unless I extend my Geo-filter range out far enough to include a host in Kansas,I get an error code beaver and get kicked out every time. I live in NC and shouldn't have to extend my range that far out. Triplewreck and Mtashed doesn't have that host in their range.  I have the ping assist off. I am also running it in strict mode because without that it would just connect to that same (kansas)host every time,which I could do with my old router. I upgraded to the latest software and refreshed the router. I have an open NAT type..Nothing works without moving the Geo-filter all the way over 1300 miles and the get the same lag as before the R1.  Are there some settings that I'm missing? Or settings that I could try.  

BTW I did go through the entire setup with congestion control and everything.

I think this is tied to the Destiny issue that is currently being worked.  I'm not a Destiny guy, so I have only read a little of the threads, but as it's Friday night here in the states, it's well into the weekend across the pond where the Duma team are based.

I'll look around and see if I can't find you a link or something to better explain.  In the meantime this post will bump it back up the list so guys will see it tonight when they log in and hopefully get you something you can use.

More to follow...

JD

Have you seen this thread?  Looks like the Cloud settings were updated and if you don't have those auto-enabled, this could help you out.

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/1653-destiny-update/

Here is another member's thread on settings that worked, may be of some assistance.

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/8623-best-settings-on-destiny-imo/?do=findComment&comment=63362

In doing some reading on other threads, it appears that the addition of the Cloud Update that Fraser already did (first link) has helped with similar issues for other players.

See if following the instructions in that first link and getting a new cloud update of servers doesn't help your cause and let us know!

In other news, the new upgrade that is currently being tested has some Destiny specific stuff for it that may assist you also.

Let us know!

JD

I still get kicked about 75% of the time. I'm seeing a triangle with an exclamation mark on the same crappy server out in Kansas that it wants me to connect to for some reason. There are plenty of circles inside my home area but it doesn't change anything.  Unchecking strict mode just connects me to that KS server with lag and kind of defeats the purpose of me using the netduma router in the first place.  I'm not sure this is going to work out with Destiny as from what I see it seems to be a common problem.

if you check the wiki i think it says to not use strict mode with destiny

and i tried it with destiny and i get kicked of the servers all the time

Yeah I saw that but unclicking the strict mode just allows a connection to a server that I don't want. I can't connect now no matter how I set it up. Strict or not. Geo filter is not letting me connect to anybody. I see triangles outside of the geo filter and then get the beaver error code and kicked every single time.

I have searched this forum(now of course too late) and see that this is not an isolated issue. I think it was working a little better though before the latest update.  I have unplugged the netduma so I can actually play a game without getting kicked now. I don't want to give up on this but I'm not seeing anyone step in with a fix for the problems that this router is obviously having with Destiny. 

Hopefully they are working on this since Triplewreck and Mtashed viewers won't be very happy getting a router that they can use.

Yeah I saw that but unclicking the strict mode just allows a connection to a server that I don't want. I can't connect now no matter how I set it up. Strict or not. Geo filter is not letting me connect to anybody. I see triangles outside of the geo filter and then get the beaver error code and kicked every single time.

I have searched this forum(now of course too late) and see that this is not an isolated issue. I think it was working a little better though before the latest update.  I have unplugged the netduma so I can actually play a game without getting kicked now. I don't want to give up on this but I'm not seeing anyone step in with a fix for the problems that this router is obviously having with Destiny. 

Hopefully they are working on this since Triplewreck and Mtashed viewers won't be very happy getting a router that they can use.

after i turned off the strict mode i had the same problem

and i rebooted my isp modem and netduma and everything worked fine

Destiny is having alot of issues right now, check out yt videos on destiny & u will find out. They put sbmm in & didn't tell there fans , then r lying about it. Destiny is a fun game and I put in alot of hrs, but I would find a different game . I was a beta tester,love the game , I got tired of the lies of bungie does to their fans and the community.

Destiny is having alot of issues right now, check out yt videos on destiny & u will find out. They put sbmm in & didn't tell there fans , then r lying about it. Destiny is a fun game and I put in alot of hrs, but I would find a different game . I was a beta tester,love the game , I got tired of the lies of bungie does to their fans and the community.

This is so true.I can't count the number of times Bungie has said one thing and done something else. I'm not blaming the R1 for any of Destinys problems, I just want to use the router as it was designed and promoted to do.

after i turned off the strict mode i had the same problem

and i rebooted my isp modem and netduma and everything worked fine

I tried to reboot everything and just couldn't get it working again. Everything looks fine on the Geo filter..Plenty of circles inside my home radius (700 miles) but I sat there and got kicked out of at least 15 to 20 games in a row. Most of them while flying into the match over and over.  I spent hours doing this.

If I have to increase my area to include the entire US or allow it connect to just any and every laggy host by taking it out of strict mode then I can do the same thing by not using the R1.There are no triangles inside my radius so I don't need a cloud update or anything like that.It's beyond frustrating.

To me it would make more sense to just tell anyone wanting to use this router for Destiny or the same type of MM game, that this is not the router for them right now. It doesn't mean that they are not working on it but it does not deliver everything they are saying it does.Look at the number of users that are having these same issues and it speaks volumes. Yes there are some who can use it without getting kicked but it doesn't negate the fact that plenty can't.

• Administrators

You have to have strict mode off in order to not get kicked, there isn't a way around that. If you use strict mode you can get very good games but have a higher chance of being kicked. That Kansas one will be a dedicated server that people you're blocking will connect to. 

I'm going to take a look and see how the new SBMM update has affected it to see if we can optimise it further.

You have to have strict mode off in order to not get kicked, there isn't a way around that. If you use strict mode you can get very good games but have a higher chance of being kicked. That Kansas one will be a dedicated server that people you're blocking will connect to. 

I'm going to take a look and see how the new SBMM update has affected it to see if we can optimise it further.

Having strict mode off is the same thing as not having the R1 at all. You are right about having strict mode on and getting good games when and if you can stay connected.  The couple of games I was able to play early on before the .5 update were great,lag free games but sitting there getting kicked 15 times in a row to play the 16th game doesn't quite make sense does it. 

This router slows down my download and upload speeds somewhat as it does with many other users. This doesn't bother me that much by itself but telling me that I can't run it in strict mode without getting kicked means that you're slowing down my connection AND letting me connect to the same laggy host/servers I was connecting to without the R1 which now has more lag due to my now slower connection.

My posts are not meant to be harsh in any way as I really want this router to perform the way that you are promoting it to do but promoting this through big name gamers that basically only play Destiny will bring you more problems if these things can't be fixed.

Having strict mode off is the same thing as not having the R1 at all. 

No, not really.  Device prioritization and the ability to control congestion at the local level has been proven by many a member to improve overall quality of life in gaming and especially for those in the same house with avid gamers.

While I don't disagree that you Destiny peeps are getting the raw end of the deal with P2P AND SBMM, the router itself offers much more than simply a local connection via Geo Filter.

It's not the R1. It's Destiny in general. It's screwed up right now. Even with strict mode off, I still get players from around the world. This SBMM has been a total FAIL.

I think you're missing the point.This router is being promoted to connect you to host/servers around you in order for you to have a game with less lag. It says "Dominate lag" right on the box. If I have to unclick strict mode and connect to any and all servers or hosts, then I can't "Dominate Lag" and I can't connect to servers/host around me. This IS the R1's fault.  I understand that Destiny has changed to a SBMM system.That change was almost 2 months ago. Mtashed started promoting this router 2 weeks ago. Yes I think Destiny should go back to a location based connection but if this router can't adapt to this newer MM system then promoting it with Destiny players should stop.

No, not really.  Device prioritization and the ability to control congestion at the local level has been proven by many a member to improve overall quality of life in gaming and especially for those in the same house with avid gamers.

While I don't disagree that you Destiny peeps are getting the raw end of the deal with P2P AND SBMM, the router itself offers much more than simply a local connection via Geo Filter.

But it's being promoted through Destiny gamers

But it's being promoted through Destiny gamers

It's only recently been promoted through Destiny players.  It was promoted outside of Destiny for most of last year before they reached agreements with "YT personalities".  YT, in and of itself, should not be the source of anyone's end-all-beat-all opinion as those people are paid for what they put out.  There are countless "YT stars" I wouldn't cross the street to hear talk about anything, let alone an investment.

If the level of "it works" versus "it doesn't work" is how it plays one game, perhaps the selection criteria was a tad bit overly specific.

It's only recently been promoted through Destiny players.  It was promoted outside of Destiny for most of last year before they reached agreements with "YT personalities".  YT, in and of itself, should not be the source of anyone's end-all-beat-all opinion as those people are paid for what they put out.  There are countless "YT stars" I wouldn't cross the street to hear talk about anything, let alone an investment.

If the level of "it works" versus "it doesn't work" is how it plays one game, perhaps the selection criteria was a tad bit overly specific.

Triplewreck started promoting this 5 months ago and he primarily plays Destiny.I'm letting you know that a lot of unhappy customers are headed this way if something isn't changed. It's being promoted to connect you to players in your area to prevent or reduce lag but this can't happen if things aren't changed with this router

I think you're missing the point.This router is being promoted to connect you to host/servers around you in order for you to have a game with less lag. It says "Dominate lag" right on the box. If I have to unclick strict mode and connect to any and all servers or hosts, then I can't "Dominate Lag" and I can't connect to servers/host around me. This IS the R1's fault. I understand that Destiny has changed to a SBMM system.That change was almost 2 months ago. Mtashed started promoting this router 2 weeks ago. Yes I think Destiny should go back to a location based connection but if this router can't adapt to this newer MM system then promoting it with Destiny players should stop.

Before SBMM I was able to connect two players near me. So in general the Netduma did actually work as intended. Then came bungies great idea to go with skill based matchmaking. It went downhill from there. You are right however that they should stop promoting it to destiny players for now. It will just gain a very bad reputation.

Sounds good Fraser. Right now Destiny is using a connection based system during the PVP Iron Banner event (or so it has been said). You may have to wait until it is over as I think they will return to the SBMM afterwards.

• 4 months later...

Archived