Question about DMZ

Another Nephron

Hello!

I wasn't sure where this should go, so I thought general discussion would do fine!

A popup appeared when I went to the 'device manager' section of my brand new Netduma, advising me to enable modem mode or DMZ on the router I have it connected to.  I could find no way to enable a modem mode on our BT HomeHub 3, so I ended up setting up a DMZ from the HomeHub to the Netduma.

A few things I saw seemed to suggest there may be a security risk to this - could someone explain (in fairly layman's terms) what these risks are and if it's worth keeping the DMZ active?  Would there be many issues if I didn't have it set up?

Thanks in advance!

No, you did a great job in setting it up. Placing the router in a DMZ is a common thing depending on the setup. The R1 has built in security features so you are protected. Also I would enable stealth mode under settings>miscelleous.

No, you did a great job in setting it up. Placing the router in a DMZ is a common thing depending on the setup. The R1 has built in security features so you are protected. Also I would enable stealth mode under settings>miscelleous.

Hey Buck, what does stealth mode do ?

For reference, what "stealth mode" does is very specific--it means that if something requests a connection on a closed port, rather than responding "Sorry, that port is closed." the computer won't say anything at all.

Which, on the other end, appears as if there is nothing there. So far as I understand, it's basically a deterrent for some kinds of network attack, because an attacker that isn't persistent (or one that is, if you have no ports at all open) won't even be able to tell if they're prodding at a computer, or if there's nothing at that address.

Archived