Feature request: Internet quality monitor

I would love a feature on the duma that monitors internet quality, so when I get laggy games I can check the duma for any issues on my internet connection like dropped packet rates, etc.  At the moment I use thinkbroadband's quality monitor which constantly measures ping stats and dropped packets, gives a good general indication of the quality of my broadband connection.

The internet diagnostics page on the duma gives a quick one off test, but would be useful to have diagnostics running all the time in the background with historical charts.

Some more thoughts on this. When testing networks for high performance computing and low latency I use some bespoke udp client/server software that creates a matrix network of many nodes and can measure throughput, latency, etc. across the network between all nodes. I also use professional tools for measuring and monitoring low latency networks like Corvil, these often build peer-peer monitoring fabrics to measure the connections between all end-points, e.g. in financial markets electronic exchanges and banks install corvil monitoring nodes, these communicate and measure the performance of the network between all participants in the financial market. The same principle could apply to gaming - if duma devices created a peer-peer monitoring fabric between many other duma devices, we could all measure and monitor our own network quality and performance, using UDP network that follows similar routes to gaming traffic rather than ICMP pings to google

Archived