DSL modem in bridge, Time Capsule, and R1

Hello Netduma Community

I have searched the Forums to no avail, but that is partially because of my lack of router / isp knowledge i’m sure. I currently have a Netgear DSL Modem only (not gateway) set in Bridge mode which has an Apple Time Capsule connected to it. The Time Capsule is used for backups of our Macs, but doesn’t have to necessarily be in the internet connection setup.

Since my modem is in Bridge mode, and I understand the Netduma doesn’t support that, do I need to take the modem out of Bridge mode and connect the Netduma directly to the modem? I believe that is what you described as the ideal setup. are there any disadvantages to wall > modem > Time capsule > R1? I was told to avoid double NAT, but am not sure how to do that in the last setup that i mentioned. I’m sorry to ask so many questions, but Internet is very important here for work reasons, so I can’t afford to screw my connection up with trial and error. Any suggestions you have are greatly appreciated. Again, sorry for my technical shortcomings, but thanks in advance.

DHO

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

I would advise modem (not bridged) > duma > time capsule (if needed). This would ensure that you can make use of all the dumas features as well as ensure that your devices connected to it - xbox etc will have an open NAT. Then you can connect to the time capsule with devices for backing up as and when needed.

Hi Fraser,

I set this up as you mentioned, but the minute I switched devices to the R1, ping went from 25 to 100, and bandwidth dropped from 2.5 to 1.25. I've already tried the settings on the wiki, and I am using a wired connect to ps4 and for performing the speedtest. I need help! I immediately switch everything back to the way it was, without the R1, speed and ping was back to normal. Any ideas?

Heath

• Administrators

Hi Fraser,

I set this up as you mentioned, but the minute I switched devices to the R1, ping went from 25 to 100, and bandwidth dropped from 2.5 to 1.25. I've already tried the settings on the wiki, and I am using a wired connect to ps4 and for performing the speedtest. I need help! I immediately switch everything back to the way it was, without the R1, speed and ping was back to normal. Any ideas?

Heath

Is this speed test ping? For speeds. With the ping make sure you have anti-flood on 70/70, does this resolve the issue? 

That's ok Buck. I appreciate the attention. I'm not offended, just frustrated with the lack of response and/or dedicated contact for tech support. I had actually already tried all of the wikis that applied to me, including that one. I'm not an advanced technical, but I hate to trouble someone with a question until I had exhausted written resources. Thanks again for any ideas you still can offer!

I just would like to verify. Is it you are not getting the speeds that you pay for from your ISP? If so what speeds are you suppose be getting?

You can always go into congestion control and select reset and update under the prioritization flower then go into settings>misc and select turbo mode and see if your speeds improve.

Your first statement is correct. I pay for three, get 2.5 with my time capsule, and get approx 1.25 down with the R1. Pattern is the same with ping. I go from 30ms on time capsule up to like 100-175 with R1. All other wireless devices in house were powered down. Tests were done back to back, and directly wired to routers. Only difference was for time capsule, the modem was in bridge mode, whereas the modem was not for the R1.

Archived