Low Pings, Closer Host, More Lag?

Playing BO3 and I am in Rockford Illinois and I usually keep my range to about 500 - 600 Miles and almost always get a server in Kansas. It runs super smooth but I literally can' t kill any one and die super fast. Same goes with dedi's outside that range.  If I pull my range in super close to 150 - 200 Miles something weird happens. It takes longer to find a game which is expected. Then It will find a game where the pings are super low say 20ms and the TTK vs die is A LOT better. However the game sometimes is super choppy and seems to have a ton of lag even if the duma is saying ping is super low. A lot of times it will migrate hosts and kick me which is frustrating considering it just took 20 minutes to find a host in range. 

My questions are: 

1. Any explanation as why this is happening? as I would think the lower the ping the smoother the game.

2.If I keep my geo range in close do ALL the players connected to the host have to be with in this range or just the host? I just want to connect to a close host and could care less where other players are connecting from. 

3. How does ping assist work and what does it do exactly? If I put my ping assist up to 20-30 it finds a game usually outside of my range and where it seems I have a disadvantage. 

Thanks, 

Dave

1. In previous COD games, the game engine prioritized lower ping over higher ping for lag compensation.  This meant that if you had much lower ping, you often would win more gun fights.  In BO3, it seems that they changed the lag compensation engine.  Other forum members and I have found that we actually get better BO3 games with host pings around 50-70mS.   

2. The geo filter is for filtering the host only.  It does not limit the othe rplayers

3. ping assist will allow you to find hosts outside your geo fitler range with a ping less than your ping assist value

Hi Chf - Illinois?  I have been camping your servers for the first few weeks of BO3 and they play WAY better than Seattle, where I live.

Let's see if I can help get you sorted here.

1) If the question is why a third party title seems to run choppy, or not as smooth as you imagine, based on information you are getting from the NetDuma, I am afraid you may be asking the wrong folks.  That is a question for Activision/Treyarch and who ever has sold them space on the dedicated boxes they are using.

2) The Geo Filter is there to limit where YOU connect to a game host.  It doesn't stop other people, like me, from also connecting to that game host.  If you expand the Geo Filter, the overall number of available hosts will increase.  If you decrease it, you get less host options.

3) Ping Assist.  If you set Ping Assist at 50Ms, and you enter into match-making (i.e. - you are looking for a game), even if your Geo Filter is centered in Illinois, if a game host is available that you ping LESS THAN or EQUAL TO 50ms, you CAN connect to that game.  You are setting an "Acceptable Minimum" that you are willing to enter and play.  

• If you set Ping Assist to 'ZERO', you will only connect to game hosts INSIDE your Geo-Filter (most of the time, though rare instances have occurred).

Only other thing to keep in mind is that you need to allow 2 minutes for any changes to your Geo Filter or match making requests (like Ping Assist) to take effect.

Hey Guys, 

Thanks for the response.

So all the circles in the geo filiter are all potential hosts not the actual players? So smaller host circles in range are other hosts that I am not connected to correct? Why do hosts pop up searching for a game that I cannot connect to. I will also join a room sometimes with 2 people in it and it won't connect to other players to the room so I will have to get out and retry. I feel as though my Duma is preventing other players from joining in the game once I am in. Sometimes it will go launch and just stop. Eventually everyone in the room quits and I will sit in the cue for 20 min because no one can connect? This only happens in close range. If I open the range I connect right away to a server 50 - 60 ms smooth feel but and can tell I am at a disadvantage.  

Is the lag compensation lagging my game because I have a lower ping? So my only options are have a choppy game I can kill people or have a smooth game experience that I die before I can even get my gun up. Is this new to COD games I have not played COD since the old BO2 on 360 and it seems that the TTK is never equal. It seems that there is always some BS to complain about. Which sucks because I think the game looks good and is fun but not when you cant shot someone. 

I get my best games on southern server near Florida it pings around 70ms steady, it's also 2k mi from me lol. All other servers play like crap for the most part even though they have the same ping, that's why I love my R1! Also play around with preemptive and reactive, this can make a huge difference in "lag" depending on what isp you have. 

Archived