Reactive or Preemptive - Congestion Control

Guest Netduma Fraser

Preemptive is for speeds below 60 and reactive is for speeds above 60. So I'd recommend reactive for you if you really want that extra 6mbps. 

In my testing on my 6mb down 1mb up adsl LLU line is that reactive keeps mine and my sons pc's pings right down when downloading surfing etc at 70% to 90% still low pings and no spikes where as preemtive tends to have high spikes every now and then and not as low ping.

I was totaly amazed after all i had read saying to use preemtive for my connection.

In my testing on my 6mb down 1mb up adsl LLU line is that reactive keeps mine and my sons pc's pings right down when downloading surfing etc at 70% to 90% still low pings and no spikes where as preemtive tends to have high spikes every now and then and not as low ping.

I was totaly amazed after all i had read saying to use preemtive for my connection.

That sounds like it should be other way around. Pre-emptive the Netduma team have their own algorithms at work to help out with congestion control

I have tried lots of different settings 70% on both 80% 50% etc and reactive works outs best for me with lower over all pings while somebodys is dl'ing and no spikes , so i am happy with it just letting you know :)

Guest Netduma_Iain

Oh whichever you prefer thats why we gave you the option. Its a bit odd, if you like I can help investigate but if you're happy with reactive keep it :)

I know it should not work that way but yeah reactive has an over all better effect on lowering my pings , and yes i am more than happy with it 20ms pings when watching hd youtube and browsing is super fast while downloads are running.

I used to use cfosspeed on our machines for something similar but that is long gone now , your flood protection out does it by miles :)

• 1 year later...

i have really good speeds but i'm unsure of my best settings. they seemed to best at the very start before i tinkered with stuff after following the net duma best settings guide. i'm not saying they're wrong but maybe i played around too much. any advice? 

• Administrators

i have really good speeds but i'm unsure of my best settings. they seemed to best at the very start before i tinkered with stuff after following the net duma best settings guide. i'm not saying they're wrong but maybe i played around too much. any advice? 

Hey, welcome to the forum! This is a very old thread. Please post your question/issue in General Support after reading the pinned post. 

I will now close this thread.

Archived