XR500 high ping on ping plotter

Goodafternoon,

I was doing a lot of research on my own through these forums and other avenues but I cant get this to work. when I plug an ethernet cable from the ISP modem (bgh210) to my computer pingplotter reads beautifully. no lag spike just a clean, smooth line as shown in one of my pics. Then, when I unplug the ethernet from the ISP modem and connect my computer to the xr500 I get terrible base ping as shown in the second picture. I have ATT Gig speed and my ping is usually around 12ms . I bought a block of static ip address. even though it come with 5 different ip's Im ony using 1 and  issued it out to my xr500 and disabled everything on the modem except dhcp. on my xr500 I have:

static ip connected

geo filter on

bufferbloat with 70% on both

and my xbox gets 50% of my bandwith.

please help me. I like this router but my hit detection is so bad on it. thanks

No XR500.PNG

white gaming xr500.PNG

• Netduma Staff
7 hours ago, nowngamer said:

No XR500.PNG

white gaming xr500.PNG

Hi, welcome to the forum! So first off it's worth saying that Pingplotter results are very rarely affected by secondary routers themselves. It might at first appear that you're getting worse results because of the XR500, and some kind of fault with your router. The reality is, the XR500 is routing all traffic directly from your Modem, and it's far more likely that your Modem has a fault when communicating with the XR500.

- Your Modem could have a Puma 6 chipset

- Your target URL could have misbehaved on the test, so try Twitter.com instead

- Your Ethernet cable could have a fault, so try another

- Always disable QoS and stop downloading when running Pingplotter tests

How can I found if my modem has a puma 6 chipset? The target url I was using is google.com but just changed it to twitter.com. My ethernet cables are all brand new cat 5e and cat 6 cables. I tried disabling qos and stopping downloads but nothing is working. My hit detection is still bad. Is there anything else I can do?

I am using Vlan I believe. it doesn't require me to log on to use the internet on the xr500. I have no other devices connected to the modem. my modem is the bgh210 from att fios. I also have the razor blade pro gaming computer than I use also. could this be the reason? I have ivp6 but I don't use it on the xr500 or the bgh210. should I enable that? I really appreciate you guys help never got responces back so fast with tech support ever.

also, my modem isn't on that list of puma 6 chip modem/routers. something is ruining my online gaming experience.

im sorry. I don't have VLan. I thought vlan meant that it was connected through the lan port lol. but no, all I have to do to connect to the internet through my service providers modem is just connect the xr500. no special type of connections

should I use ivp6 on my modem and the xr500?

• Netduma Staff
13 hours ago, nowngamer said:

im sorry. I don't have VLan. I thought vlan meant that it was connected through the lan port lol. but no, all I have to do to connect to the internet through my service providers modem is just connect the xr500. no special type of connections

Taking a look here: http://www.pingplotter.com/wisdom/common-network-problems, it looks like your pattern is quite unique. I personally would say it's a line fault, if you hadn't already tested this directly to the modem. Have you tried factory resetting your XR500? You say you've got a basic connection, so if there's anything strange in the settings a factory reset will give you a clean slate.

After the factory reset, set your speeds in the Anti-Bufferbloat menu, then disable QoS. Test it without changing any settings, and make sure to test different ports / cables!

yes I factory reset my router many times. about 10 lol. the first picture with the straightest line was the test with my modem only. I just did the test with the reset and instructions from your last reply but nothing has changed.

• Administrators

The modem you have does it have WiFi? If so do you have any devices connected to it at all that aren't connected to the XR500? If so everything needs to be connected to the router otherwise the router cannot control the network properly to reduce spikes

• Netduma Staff
On 1/18/2019 at 12:46 AM, nowngamer said:

yes. everything is disconnected from the modem.. only my xr500 with wifi disabled on the bgh210

Has anything changed over the weekend? I'd say you should change your testing environment to try and rule out your Ethernet cables / testing device. If you have a laptop or anything capable of running Pingplotter, try running a wireless Pingplotter test. That should rule out the XR500 ports / Ethernet cables / testing device.

You should also see what results you get on DSL reports. We usually don't recommend that test due to inaccuracies, but it'd be good to see if you get hugely negative results there (which you should do, if the Pingplotter test is accurate). If the DSL reports test confirms that there are big issues, I think it's safe to say the XR500 could be faulty.

You could speak to Netgear about this, especially if you're within warranty. I've not seen Pingplotter results like this before - the only thing quite unique about your setup is the block of Static IP's you've bought. If you can rule that out as the cause somehow, definitely try.

Thanks for your help. Nothing has changed. My hit detection is still bad. Dsl reports and pingpotter readings are high. Could the XR500 be faulty? Have you seen reports of fauly devices? im going to buy a new one in a couple hrs.

• Netduma Staff
14 hours ago, nowngamer said:

Thanks for your help. Nothing has changed. My hit detection is still bad. Dsl reports and pingpotter readings are high. Could the XR500 be faulty? Have you seen reports of fauly devices? im going to buy a new one in a couple hrs.

Honestly I have never seen a report of an XR500 causing ping spikes / bad Pingplotter readings. I've been supporting the XR500 since it launched this time last year. If you can get your XR500 replaced by Netgear it might be worth it - please let us know how communication with Netgear on this matter goes.