Anti Bufferbloat Sliders?

Hi,

New user here, I have the Anti Bufferbloat set to 70% and to automatically detect the high priority traffic. However my slider have changed to a different setting, 93% 53% on their own. Is this normal for the OS to automate that setting. 

Also when it comes to QOS is that system wide rather than just when there is gaming involved. Say for example I always want my Nvidia Shield to have 12% so that when I am streaming a film from Plex online it always has the bandwidth? Then that bandwidth is shared if the shield isn't doing anything. 

I wonder if it's when I access the interface via my iPad, I had to factory reset the xr500 as it was playing up when I originally set it up, the internet wouldn't work until I factroy reset it even though my settings were correct. The router just kept redirecting me to the router interface when I tried to access the interface. 

No one else is accessing it other than me on the iPad. 

I think I will have to stay off the iPad with it as it doesn't seem to like it. 

The router was having issues saving the information entered on the iPad. 

There is no app am I right? 90% of the time I use the iPad for internet browsing. 

I have my Bufferbloat set via my PC now and that seems to be working as it should without changing any numbers, I have another question though if you don't mind.

Does the Bufferbloat account for just gaming traffic or things like video streaming as well, should I be allocating QOS for my video devices that I don't want to start buffering when there is heavy internet traffic on the network? I noticed that when I do set the QOS, as the sliders are already at 70% I have only that amount of my overall Mbps to allocate, not my full amount without setting the sliders lower.

I would like to make sure that both my video streaming and gaming are smooth if possible.

Thanks

• Administrators

It works across the board for everything connected to the router. It throttles the connection to 70% so that no device can fully saturate your connection which is what causes congestion. Anti-Bufferbloat should do a good enough job of preventing buffering on it's own but if not you could allocate precise bandwidth as well.

Is the throttling only going to take place if gaming traffic is detected? So say if no gaming is taking place and I’m watching a 25Mbps 4K Netflix stream and someone else is downloading at full speed the bufferbloat isn’t going to kick in as a game isn’t being played?

The bandwidth allocation already takes into account the slider reduction so that my 70Mbps connection is now 49Mbps, so I’m splitting the 49Mbps remaining between all my devices?

• Administrators

It depends on when you tell Anti-Bufferbloat to apply, I'd suggest choosing Always as you never know when you or someone else in your household might do something that could affect you so for Always would ensure you don't ever get congestion. If when high priority traffic detected then would be as you described.

Yes thats correct.

Thanks for the information, 

As a last option I could enable the high priority detection for games, which I like because if I choose always I am perminantly losing 21Mbps of my 70Mbps connection. Then just add say 20Mbps to the shield to reserve and let the other devices have the remaining 29Mbps. 

38 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yeah you could do that, keep in mind with share excess on whatever isn't being used other devices can use

Thank you for your help it is much appreciated, when it comes to share excess how fluid is that, if I allocate 20Mbps to the shield on download and I’m watching something that only requires say 10Mbps, is the rest being shared out or reserved anyway?

I have a final QOS question,

My current internet speeds are 69.5MBps down and 20MBps up

I can’t decide whether to have bufferbloat set to Always or when High priority traffic is detected, if a device is saturating the upload and download how likely is that to affect a twitch stream or a plex video? Is it not as likely to happen as the traffic isn’t as speed sensitive as gaming is. I’m trying to work out if I can get away with just the High priority setting rather than the always, how many Mbps should I aim to leave with 69/20?

• Administrators

Its still very likely as those are bandwidth intensive applications so if the connection is already saturated then it will be competing for bandwidth and therefore highly susceptible to buffering. Gaming doesn't use much bandwidth at all and yet it can cause games to lag very easily. It depends really on what your household bandwidth usage is like, if you use bandwidth intensive applications often then select 'Always' if not then choose 'When High Priority Traffic Detected'

29 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Its still very likely as those are bandwidth intensive applications so if the connection is already saturated then it will be competing for bandwidth and therefore highly susceptible to buffering. Gaming doesn't use much bandwidth at all and yet it can cause games to lag very easily. It depends really on what your household bandwidth usage is like, if you use bandwidth intensive applications often then select 'Always' if not then choose 'When High Priority Traffic Detected'

What happens to the remaining bandwidth, it just remains unused and therefore there is always space for traffic to get in and out? 

I have gone with reserving some bandwidth by having it always on at the moment, as just last night after I finished playing on the Xbox and started watching a twitch stream, the Xbox started a game update as I could see it was downloading at around 50Mbps in the network monitor whereas before I wouldn’t have known this was happening but my videos would appear to take longer to load on twitch and I wouldn’t know why. 

Also, does anyone have any experience using this router with the EX8000 extender, there is one kids room in the house that although it looks like it still has good coverage devices in there will often not have an internet connection. My sons Alexa will say that it is having trouble connecting to the internet and his smart bulb loses connection. Any downsides to adding one of these?

2 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

No downsides in adding the extender. They do a great job improving the WiFi coverage and it’ll be compatible with the router

Thank you for the info!

I have another question, maybe I am doing this wrong, I have Anti Bufferbloat set to Always and there is about 50Mbps left after setting the slider, as a test when my Xbox was downloading a game I set download bandwidth on my iPad to 50Mbps, then I began a Speedtest on the iPad and got around 25Mbps whilst the Xbox was still downloading about 30Mbps. I had assumed the iPad would take all the bandwidth as I had it set to reserve 50Mbps?

On my tests the Xbox was getting more than the iPad and the iPad WiFi maxes out my 70Mbps connection. 

• Administrators

Bandwidth Allocation will automatically share any unused bandwidth to other devices that need it. So in this case, the iPad could have used 50mbps but because it didn't need it at the time, it allowed it to go to your Xbox that needed it.

You can stop this happening, if you really wanted to, by disabling Share Excess in the Options menu of Anti-Bufferbloat. But I wouldn't recommend it as it can then restrict your whole connection.

One tip - on each feature there's a small ? icon in the top right corner. They do a good job at explaining how each feature  works.

17 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

Bandwidth Allocation will automatically share any unused bandwidth to other devices that need it. So in this case, the iPad could have used 50mbps but because it didn't need it at the time, it allowed it to go to your Xbox that needed it.

You can stop this happening, if you really wanted to, by disabling Share Excess in the Options menu of Anti-Bufferbloat. But I wouldn't recommend it as it can then restrict your whole connection.

One tip - on each feature there's a small ? icon in the top right corner. They do a good job at explaining how each feature  works.

Thanks,

I understand how it works but if I am running a speedtest on the iPad and I have it set to reserve 50Mbps and then I do a speedtest and it gets 25Mbps and the Xbox is still getting over 30Mbps downloading how is that right, shouldn’t the iPad be requesting all the speed and not just half of what was reserved?

By doing speedtest on the iPad am I not requesting as much bandwidth as the system can give me? Not sure why it would be sharing more to the Xbox.

• Administrators

My first thought is that you may have set it on the upload on Bandwidth Allocation rather than download or vice versa and with share excess off. Also did you notice if High Priority Traffic was updating rapidly when doing the console speed test?

7 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

My first thought is that you may have set it on the upload on Bandwidth Allocation rather than download or vice versa and with share excess off. Also did you notice if High Priority Traffic was updating rapidly when doing the console speed test?

Thanks for getting back to me, I did have it set on download as I thought the same, the light was on high priority but the traffic was increasing in background not high priority. 

I just tried it again and the same thing happened, 25Mbps on the iPad and 26Mbps on the Xbox.