Firmware upgrade for XR500 waiting for XR700?

I would take a big guess why the new firmware upgrade for the XR500 (VPN, ping assist...) is not (and will not be) available yet. With the new XR700 coming soon I think and it's entirely up to me that you don't have the permission to release it before launch of the new router. I say that because on the advertising they mention the new VPN feature as you can see on the image I took on Amazon.

So it make sense that you release this firmware after October 19th and we have to wait more than 1 month again without any beta testing.

If I'm right I d'ont understand why you're not telling us the whole story and if I'm wrong I would love to upgrade to the XR700 🙂 

xr700 vpn.jpeg

XR700 release date.jpeg

• Administrators

Honestly, not at all! We want to get new features out to all DumaOS users as fast as possible as we know how much everyone enjoys their router improving. It's a big selling point of DumaOS.

The reason Hybrid is in the XR700 advertising is because the XR500 and XR700 (and Netduma R1 for that matter) will have the same DumaOS features, and obviously the plan has been to get Hybrid VPN out to everyone for some time now. It's just taken longer than other XR500 updated because Hybrid VPN is a far more complex feature to test.

Hopefully it won't be too long now. 😀

Guest Killhippie

I cant see this being the reason. Take iPhones, iOS 12 will if following all other Apple updates will be available before the new iPhones. This happens every year. The XR500 may have the VPN in the new release, or it may not. Nobody has said it will or it wont. This is just advertising the features that it will have but may not contain at release. Only Netduma and Netgear know for sure.

Sony advertised Dolby Vision a year almost before it was released in a update for some TV's. The XR500 will get it's update when Netgear think its fully baked and that might mean well before the XR700 release. I would be surprised if they left the XR450 and XR500 for 4 months between updates tbh. Also I would not like to hazard a guess on what it will contain. Just because it says these things on the company blurb don't always make it so.

This is Netgears baby riding on DumaoS, and Netgear will want a lot of testing done. Time will tell, but the XR500 needs stability bug fixes above all else right now.