XR500 - Losing Connection to Router Regularly

Hello all,

I just installed an XR500 this week.  It's been great except the router seems to disappear for the length of ~5 pings on a regular basis.  I ran a constant ping and saved the results (attached, xls & txt files).  For the majority of this time, no person was using the network as we were out of the house.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

pinglog3-31-18.txt

xr500 - Pings and losses.xlsx

• Administrators

Hello all,

I just installed an XR500 this week.  It's been great except the router seems to disappear for the length of ~5 pings on a regular basis.  I ran a constant ping and saved the results (attached, xls & txt files).  For the majority of this time, no person was using the network as we were out of the house.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Hi and welcome to the forum. The first step is isolating the cause of this packet loss. 

Are you able to connect directly to your modem and repeat the test? It's possible that the issue is with your line, rather than the router.

Also, could you do these steps for good housekeeping:

1. Update to the latest firmware: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/24371-new-firmware-v22110/
  2. Disable IPv6 if you're using it
  3. If you're using PPPoE, enter your credentials on your modem instead of the XR500

Finally, are you dong this test wirelessly? If yes, please repeat on a wired connection so we can compare.

Thank you for your welcome and help.

I'll connect directly to my modem and repeat the test.  That's no issue, and I'll do that after replying here.

I've done those.
1. It was fully updated.  "No new firmware version available. This screen will automatically return to the previous screen in a few seconds..."
2. It was disabled.
3. I'm not using PPPoE.

I did the test on a wired machine.  On a related note, the wireless devices seemed to go off at the same time.  (An ipad was being used when I was working.)

Thank you for your help.

• Administrators

Thanks for trying these things. Could you do this please:

In QoS, click on the advanced options in Anti-Bufferbloat. Then disable the QoS settings option (the one where it says not recommended). Click proceed when the warning message appears.

Now repeat your ping test. If the issue is solved, let us know as this means the cause is in DumaOS and we will continue to help you here.

If the issue continues, could you contact NETGEAR's official support as this means the issue will be in hardware or the NETGEAR settings section (or possibly, not even the router). Their support is 24/7 - their phone is usually the best option: http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Let us know how you get on! 

I'm very sorry.  After a few more hours of troubleshooting, it appears it was a bad switch in my network.  I put an old one in, and all is working well at the moment.

I don't know why it started acting up now after I installed the new router.  I did just install that as stated earlier in this thread so I thought it was the cause of the issues.  ...bad luck, I guess.

Again, sorry to take your time.  Thanks for your help.