Hitting the sweet spot

gman013

I've had my R1 now for approx a couple of months now & have started to get my head around the various tweaks & adjustments that need to be made to make the R1 work to my liking. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the R1 kit. It's excellant as is the support from Team Duma & the Netduma community on here is second to none. With their guidance & a little research on the interwebs I think I have finally hit the sweet spot....

I came across a guy on youtube by the name of Simjc74 who has put up various informative & indepth tutorials on setting up said R1. One video in particular caught my eye http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYvcu5uNcqk

In this video he explains his "Combo Technique" where by he uses the R1 in the normal way & physically throttles his connection via his TPLink. This reminded me that I used to do a similar thing with Netlimiter http://www.netlimiter.com/

That was before I found out about the R1. I did this with some success when playing the CoD franchise from MW2 onwards. I had long uninstalled Netlimiter the day I took delivery of my R1. On the strength of the above video, as an experiment, I reinstalled Netlimiter & set it up to limit my D/L to 1024Kbits & U/L to 2048Kbits. I live in the South East of England. On the R1 I set my Geo-Filter to 503Km, Ping Assist to 40ms & placed my home marker just left of centre of the English Channel. The upshot of this experiment? Well, it wasn't exactly a Beast Mode but I was pulling a 2/3 KD in most games winning 9 out of 10 games where before I would win 1 or 2 out of 10 & just about breaking even on the KD front. I tried this playing solo & in a party with friends. Same result! The game play was so smooth & consistant. Lag? What lag? Don't know what your talking about! lol

I know that there is an update in the pipeline for the R1 that will allow a more precise congestion control? & if I'm correct will give the same aeffect as Netlimiter. At the moment it is done on percentages & is a little hit & miss to find the correct adjustment (please don't take that as a dig!). I had a few games tonight with the same results! The R1 is doing all the donkey work with Netlimiter just putting the icing on the cake...for now.

Just thought I'd share the above with the group.

• Netduma Staff

I know that there is an update in the pipeline for the R1 that will allow a more precise congestion control? & if I'm correct will give the same aeffect as Netlimiter. At the moment it is done on percentages & is a little hit & miss to find the correct adjustment (please don't take that as a dig!). I had a few games tonight with the same results! The R1 is doing all the donkey work with Netlimiter just putting the icing on the cake...for now.

I think the new update will allow you to enter the amount of bandwidth you want to allocate to each device as an amount and not just a percentage. So it should do something similar to what the Netlimiter is doing :)

• Administrators

Hey Gman,

Good technical work, well done. However I don't believe in throttling as a way to counter lag myself. But each to their own :)

I haven't throttled since having the R1...I think the game is worse when I try to do this now.. That may just be me. I'ts all about the lobby you get put in now..

Having used the R1 for a little over a month, now, it is my opinion (similar to Ian, and Ortiz) even with the Netduma, it all comes down to who else is allowed in the match that determines whether the game plays well, or not.

I can get into games around 6:00 PM local time and beast on modes like TDM and KC, but an hour later (7:00 PM), more people are on and I see more and more yellow, two-bar connections in the same lobby and the game goes to shit. The really bad news is this will probably never change in our lifetime because it would require Activision to spend real money to re-code the MM algorithms to have more strict criteria (ping and regional limitations) like the Netduma allows individual users.

I know it is undemocratic, but people with bad internet should not be allowed to play a competitive online game like CoD because they inadvertently ruin the game for others who have decent connections. Other competitive online games (FIFA; LoL; CS:GO) have better MM restrictions in place, let alone more dedicated servers to cover the user base instead of relying on P2P hosts because those publishers care about their products and it's one reason they have so many dedicated players.

In games where everyone has low ping the game plays very well for me. It's when there are multiple people in the lobby that have well over 120 ping does the game feel awful. The other day there was a guy skipping around the map at 400 ms ping and he was melting my entire team. Guy finished up 55-10 and he was pretty much unkillable. He was killing me very far behind walls, insta killing me in one on one gun fights, I have 0 time to react. When I would hit hit my hit markers would pop up after I was done shooting. One time I killed him, it took an entire magazine I went into the reload animation and then the hit marker and sound happened and the player died then... THAT SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN. Lol. Bad coding.

No, bad match making without any restrictions.

If your ping is that awful and you are put into a game, there should be no reason why it should play better for you than anyone else. Poor matchmaking and coding.

Archived