Can Ping Change

I have the Ultimate package of 150 down 20 up and recently my ISP Cox upgraded us to 300 down and 30 up.

I switched out my modem from the Netgear CM400 to the Motorola SB6183 because you need a 16x4 modem to take advantage of the speeds. After a speedtest was getting 294 down and 22 up and ping around 11ms.

Today my ping increased to 34ms after several tests through Ping Plotter and the Duma Internet Diagnostic test. I rebooted my modem and router and still the same.

I have the Ultimate package of 150 down 20 up and recently my ISP Cox upgraded us to 300 down and 30 up.

I switched out my modem from the Netgear CM400 to the Motorola SB6183 because you need a 16x4 modem to take advantage of the speeds. After a speedtest was getting 294 down and 22 up and ping around 11ms.

Today my ping increased to 34ms after several tests through Ping Plotter and the Duma Internet Diagnostic test. I rebooted my modem and router and still the same.

I tweeted at my ISP to ask them why all of a sudden my ping changed. They said a change in ping is not a problem and that it was still a good ping. I agree that 34 ms is good but can ping change like that?

I need to run another speed test to see what results I get.

If its a new Package and equipment its probably optimising its self, dont keep rebooting the Modem or Router or it might think you have a fault and keep testing your line which its most likely doing now. Give it a few weeks without interrupting it and it will settle down. 

Hey Alex I currently am also on the ultimate package. However I'm still only getting the old speeds of 150d/20u. Was the modem a new model cause they didn't say anything to me about having to switch out my current one?

I have had this modem for a year. Which one do you have? Where do you live? I live in Southern California and they just barely rolled out the new upgrade.

If its a new Package and equipment its probably optimising its self, dont keep rebooting the Modem or Router or it might think you have a fault and keep testing your line which its most likely doing now. Give it a few weeks without interrupting it and it will settle down.

Ok thanks Raddy!

It's a moto SB model, also had mine for over a year. And maybe they haven't rolled it out yet here in Iowa. I will reach out to Cox tech support. Thx!

Yes and go online and check Cox approved modems and you will see if yours is approved for Ultimate. They rolled out the upgrade starting on the East Coast, then Arizona, Nevada and Cali just last week.

Archived