Using USB wifi adapter in USB socket instead of router wifi?

Corbula

Hi all, I've been keeping up with the different announcement and what's been going on here for a while but this weekend I finally bought a Netduma.

I was just wondering, is it possible to use a wifi adapter (or similar device) to plug in to the Netduma and use the wifi of the device instead of the wifi of the Netduma?

I asked this question to Fraser on Twitter and he didn't know so I thought I would sign up and ask on here in case anyone else knows the answer or has maybe even experimented themselves. I think it's unlikely because from what I know you need to be able to install the devices drivers to the router but who knows, I just thought I would ask.

Thanks all.

Hey Corbula, welcome to the forum :)

At the moment it isn't possible. It's a pretty cool idea though so I've added it to the ticket system here.

Hey, cool, thanks.

It was just an idea, I know the Netduma only has 2.4ghz and I know quite a few people on here use a second router solely for the wifi so I thought it would be cool to be able to use some sort of wifi device to improve the wifi if they need to.

I awaiting my at the moment so I will see what the wifi is like first hand and if it will be good enough for the house's use.

I mentioned a USB device because I figured that would be the easiest method but maybe you could use one of the ethernet sockets too?

• Netduma Staff

Hey, cool, thanks.

It was just an idea, I know the Netduma only has 2.4ghz and I know quite a few people on here use a second router solely for the wifi so I thought it would be cool to be able to use some sort of wifi device to improve the wifi if they need to.

I awaiting my at the moment so I will see what the wifi is like first hand and if it will be good enough for the house's use.

I mentioned a USB device because I figured that would be the easiest method but maybe you could use one of the ethernet sockets too?

The Wiif is pretty good imo :) I guess whenever someone gets round to looking at that ticket they'll be able to see what is possible/not possible and if it is possible what the best way to do it will be :)

Archived